Runny Nose When Riding

Gav2000
Gav2000 Posts: 408
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Whenever I ride my nose runs. It usually starts about 15-30 minutes into the ride but after that I need to keep blowing it for the rest of the ride. It drives me mad as I always have to breath through my mouth and my gloves and shirt sleeves get covered in snot if my snot rockets aren't accurate. Is this a common problem and is there anything I can take that will stop it?

Gav.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I asked the same question a few months ago and got responses which lead me to believe that it is common.

I'm not ladylike about it - I either wipe on my gloves or I pinch my nose and throw the contents of what comes out onto the road. Gross. Either that or I sometimes just let it drip down my face. Even more gross.

Happy snotting.
  • When you find the solution to this problem please e mail me. :wink:
  • Having said that.
    My phlegm production decreased when I reduced the amount of dairy products I was eating with my brecky. ie soya milk instead of normal milk and no youghurts, no butter.

It is a really common problem, particularly in cold weather.
    For more info google "Skiers Nose"
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    A1: Yes
    A2. No

Sorry! It's just part of being a cyclist so you'll have to get used to it! Just wait till winter - it's even worse then. The colder the air temperature, the more snot there is!
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Rhinitis is another one to google if you suffer from runny nose during exercise in all weather conditions, not just in the cold.
  • Happens to me all the time, I always make sure I have a tissue or 2 with me. Really annoying, don't think there is alot you can do about it unfortunately. :?
  • Get yourself a pair of gloves that have a bit of towelling on the back. Makes it easier to dab off the drips...until it gets saturated. Mine doesn't drip that much so I can't tell you how long it does take to get saturated but its certainly better than being surrounded by non absorbent fabrics.
  • i get this as well, i have a runny nose most the time anyway what causes this? i take a sweat band for my wrist and just wipe the snot away with that but it get pretty "snail trailed" up pretty quick,

what causes me to have a runny nose quite alot of the time?

good post by the way
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I also get this but not all the time and it is indeed a pretty anoying. I always have a hanky in one of my back pocket. I agree that cold weather has an effect on it.

Rick
  • Gav2000
    I feel much better knowing its not just me then!

I've tried Googling skiers nose etc and none of the problems appears to be just an exercise induced runny nose, they seem to be cold, pollen or some other irritant induced. I was interested to read about 'Honeymoon Hayfever' though which seems to bring on a similar affect amongst people engaging in a lot of sexual activity!

I might try a nasal decongestant before exercise as I understand that constricts the nasal membranes to reduce runniness. I'm sick of snotty gloves and sleeves though and would like to breath through my nose when riding so I can save the gasping through my mouth for the hills.

Gav.
    Gav2000

• Here is a link to a quick description from the Singletrack website which explains it briefly.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=587
  • Gav2000
    chopsocky wrote:
    Here is a link to a quick description from the Singletrack website which explains it briefly.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=587

Ahhh, that's a good summary, I'll Google 'Vasomotor Rhinitis' and 'Idiopathic Non-Allergic Rhinitis' to find out more.

Gav.
    Gav2000

• nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Have a good blow of yr nose before you set off then put a few drops of olbas oil or vic somewhere safe on yr upper body. You can even wear a fetching neckerchief soaked in the stuff that doubles as a snot catcher. I sometimes breathe in so much olbas oil that I swear I'd fail a drugs test for illegal performance enhancers
  • I cut the top off an old white sports sock and use it as a wrist band to dab my nose and after the ride it can be washed .
  • Yeah this topic has come up before on the old C+ forum. You can wipe all you want but nothing clears the nasal passages like a good evacuation i.e. snotser cannons. Caution is advised with this method when cycling in groups!
    Every winner has scars.
  • why is mine runny most the time?
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!