Blind Dogs

Jamie Nobbs
Jamie Nobbs Posts: 33
edited November 2007 in XC and Enduro
Definitely a rant more than anything else, just need to let off a little steam.
Anyone else ever been shouted at by owners of blind dogs for "being reckless"? It gets on my nerve big time.

I like to think of myself as a pretty considerate mountain biker, I'm not rude, don't go speeding past people and always make sure I give plenty of room for animals. So when somebody shouts at me for being a "maniac", I start to get a little angry.

My rant is not directed at blind dogs, it's aimed at their owners who seem to fail to understand that us cyclists have just as much right to enjoy the countryside as they do. Something else they fail to understand is that a dogs' sense of hearing and smell are many times greater than a humans. They can tell that we're on our way well before the owners and are still likely to be able to tell where we are and move out of the way.

So next time you come accross a cyclist who is polite enough to slow down and move well to the side of the path when they see that you have a dog (and remember we can't tell whether they can see or not), try saying thankyou, not shouting abuse at us. And finally, if you do have a dog that is likely to run out in front of cyclists and get hit, maybe you should consider walking it where cyclists aren't allowed, or better yet, keep it on a lead, then you can be certain it wont do itself (or anyone else) any harm

Comments

• Can definitely agree with your there my friend. I have developed such a negative attitude towards hikers, dog walkers etc... I now completely ignore them, I give notice where necessary otherwise it is not given. I used to respect such people for admiring the countryside. But now, that respect in most cases is no longer due.

to be positive: I live in the Lakes and meet some very decent people. but...

A lot of people think they fucking own the bridleways around here, even though they're just tourists. Don't take it personally pal, they're just a bunch of morons with nothing better to do with their time.
    spammer
  • My rant is not directed at blind dogs

God job - have a heart! not only are they blind but they are a dog!!

So next time you come accross a cyclist who is polite enough to slow down and move well to the side of the path when they see that you have a dog (and remember we can't tell whether they can see or not),

Don't think your advice will be widely seen throughout the blind community, after all this is a website and probably not that widely seen by people who can't see!!! :roll:

sorry...couldn't resist
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    I have only heard muttered comments from the odd one or two hikers and that's been when i've come down from the hills and am on the narrow country roads back to the car.
    Those people are quite clearly delusional as to what a road is for so I just take it with a pinch of salt.

Everyone else I meet out on the trails seems nice. I find that a simple "Mornin', What's with this weather?/How GOOD is this weather?" breaks the ice and get's people chatting.
    At the end of the day, we're all there to enjoy the scenery and I've found that by saying hello, people realise i'm not out to run their dog over.

That reminds me actually; we got talking to a couple who were out walking their dogs a few months ago. The dogs were like permed Dulux dogs, so I asked what breed they were...

Labradoodle

AAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Labradoodle!!!

Man that cracks me up!

***kin' Labradoodle.... Quality.

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    abradoodles aren't the worst....keep a straight face when working out what a pekinese crossed with a shitusu would be called..........

........... pekishu (think pokemon)!!!! was you mind out!

I don't think I have ever come accross a blind dog, so haven't been abused for not respecting their needs.
  • Noodoo
    I was thinking Shitenese (Sh1tty Knees!) the ideal XC Biking dog!

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Any person that isn't on a bike out in the countryside seems to be a total bawbag. I get nothing but abuse from folk when I have as much right to be there as they do.
  • Labradoodle is a cross between a Labrador and a Poodle.

Donald Campbell used to have one - he of the Bluebird boats and Car - temprement of a labrador but doesn't drop hair!!!
    2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite - 2006 Phantom 1203 "Miss Leadin"
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    I've been reading this thread thinking you were all bing a bit out of order till I realised you were talking about blind dogs - not Guide dogs for the blind...... :oops:

Now I've woken up, I agree fully! Even if you go out of your way to skid to a halt or nearly kill yourself swerving out of the way of a loose dog you still get looked at like you're some sort of wreckless idiot.

My local trail is Guisborough Forest and theres always loads of fat fdogs with their fat owners on a weekend.

Very irritating.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    A friend of mine was on a trail down south, he seen a gentleman walking a dog toward him on a "Byway Open to ALL TRAFFIC" i.e cars bikes anything that can get down it!!

My friend moved to one side to avoid the dog walker who in turn moved with him ( the dog just kept on doing it's thing), so my mate moved to the other side (can you see where this is going!!!)

To cut a long story short my mate got a bit P*&%^D off and stood his ground and line on the trail not budging an inch....neither did the walker....you guessed it WALLOP!!!

He collided with the walker who then had the audacity to say "Watch where you're going!!!"
    Now I would've done a few things which would've landed me in HOT WATER!!!! but after a little 'heated discussion' and explained the meaning of Byway open to ALL traffic, the walker went away with a severe flea in his ear threatining to report my mate to the wardens!!!!

That was acouple of years ago and as far as I know he still hasn't heard anything!!! Like they say...ignorance and arrogance go hand in hand..

The dog walkers on my Local trail at Wynyard are educated though, they'll move for you, and with a little thank you and a hand wave I'm on my way again!!!
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Noodoo
    sounds like the old confusion on approaching, rather than purposely blocking your mates path.
    I'd have stopped if need be.

• Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Not if I know him.....he's stubborn
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    I want a gadget that i can program with cheerful 'scuse me's and Thank you's just for Wynyard! I think that is why i love Dalby so much!!
  • The main beef I've got is nothing new and you've all said it...it's just that as time goes on and I get chased by more dogs(who's owner's moan at ME) and get yelled at by more owners, I realise that it's a sad shame that as a nation we have so many owners of seriously stupid animals...they'd probably pay a fortune to fix a dog's dodgy hair but grumble at having to put their kids into private healthcare...scum.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    what do tyres taste like??? and more specifically, do they taste nicer at speed??? ive never understood why dogs seems so insane as to want to eat your tyres. i mean, thats just not good, and bad things will come of it. and dogs should ALWAYS be on a lead, in my opinion... rant over
    i ride a hardtail
  • Dunno what's worse...insane drooling dog charging towards you or the knowledge you've just ridden through the said dog's emptied bowels all over the trail....I could rant about this for quite some time....
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    dont get me started on the tu...
    i ride a hardtail
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    ALL dogs can be trained to behave well off the lead, and to not crap on the trail - and if they do, the owner has a duty under law to clear the mess up. My dog regularly comes out with me when I go riding, it's good exercise for her and company for me.

There's no such thing as an untrainable dog, but unfortunately irresponsible, stupid and lazy dog owners are rife.
  • I cycles to work daily down a cycle path which runs around a park and for some reason the dog walkers all tend to walk on the path rather than grass and usually the dog do get in the way even when they are awar of your presence.

Somtimes it is worse when they are on leads as the dog can be one side and the walker the other therefore you have to avoid the path totally.

I am thinking of fitting an air horn therefore I can scare the dog and walker.

:?
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Whilst I am no angel and have had a set to or two with walkers and more especially horse riders I do find the best approach is a friendly greeting - this usually achieves the aim of getting them out of the way in a stress free manner, everyone goes on their way happy and enjoying their day.
    Worth bearing in mind with loose dogs is that they very often run towards their owners when they take fright (or their owners actively call them towards them) so its best not to go between owner and dog where possible.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I like dogs and don't normally have any issue with them but there are exceptions

The worst are those little yappy f**ckers. I once had to stop half way up a seriously steep climb because a daft wee mutt was yapping at my front wheel and about to be under it.

Had to push the bike up the rest of the climb, stupid owner just looked at me and didn't even apologise.

Even worse are bikers who take their dogs on trails, if your dog is well trained and trots along beside the bike then fair enough. If it runs up and down the singletrack likes it got a screw loose then keep it on a lead
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey