First Injury

feno46
feno46 Posts: 66
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Only been back on the bike a week now and I have pulled a muscle badly on the outside top of my thigh. Can hardly walk. I hope its not a hip problem but I dont think so. Dont forget you are 60 I keep getting told. :roll:

I suppose its best to warm up a bit first, what about leg warming creams, are they any good ?.

And if that was'nt enough a wasp went down my jersey and got me on my neck. :shock:

Pete.
Its how far !!

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Jesus! Sounds like you are in the wars.
    Deep Heat certainly gets the circulation going (tip - DO NOT GET IN EYES).
    As for wasps - hate 'em all. What good are they?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Testicles are also best avoided :shock:
  • You're better off just starting off slow and wearing longer tights if its cold. Just spin the pedals gently for the first 10 minutes and build up slowly. I don't think deep heat is any substitute for a warm up, plus its messy and smells.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Nuggs wrote:
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Testicles are also best avoided :shock:

:D Agreed, do not apply cream to legs then immediately go to the toilet... It hurts like hell... Trust me, a friend of a friend did it :wink:
  • JST
    JST Posts: 158
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    As for wasps - hate 'em all. What good are they?

Apparently they are good at keeping the other insect levels down - according to what a recent TV prog said!
  • Wasps - I'd rather have loads of 'other insects' that don't gratuitously lay in to you. 'Orrible buggers!!!
    weight.png
  • If the leg hurts to the same degree when bandaged (or a muscle sling thing you see Rugby player sometimes wearing on their thigh) then it's not a muscular problem. If the pain is dulled or contained when strapped then it could be muscular. Remedy... rest unfortunately. If it's a hip problem the bandage will make sod all difference.

A gentle cycle shoud be a sufficient warm up. I feel that heat creams really need to be massaged into the the muscle to get deep into the area. I don't rate them hugely. Don't go hell-for-leather on cold muscles.

Wasps... nasty little bugs.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Thanks for your concern.
    Its cleared up quicker than I thought it would. Thank goodness its not a hip problem.
    Three days off the bike seems to have done the trick.

I think it was caused by a clipless moment, I was just about to drop down the kerb when I realised it was a bit high and might damage a wheel so applied the brakes then realised I had'nt unclipped, so had to try and throw the bike upright with the hips and make a lunge for a low bollard while unclipping at the same time. :oops

On another matter how can I improve my leg strength?. I know I'm getting on a bit and have been off the bike for 25yrs.Its really demoralising when overweight people, with insteps on the pedals,on a squeeking mountain bike just power past me, when my legs packed up miles back.

I need some exercises I can do without equipment as I work away 4 days aweek
    (truck driver so can't get do much exercise in the cab)

Might get a turbo trainer for the winter if I can afford one.

Pete.
    Its how far !!