Touring bike - 8, 9 or 10 speed?

Thom
Thom Posts: 64
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
Just wonder what is more common for people to run on their touring bikes.

Thom

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    ah well I can't answer the poll

I run a Rohloff Hub gear

Thanks

george
  • Thom
    Sorry jibi - I did intend to add an 'Something else' option, but must have messed up because it hasn't appeared in the list!

I don't think you can edit a poll once it's started...

Thom
  • Thom wrote:
    Sorry jibi - I did intend to add an 'Something else' option, but must have messed up because it hasn't appeared in the list!

I don't think you can edit a poll once it's started...

Thom

Shame, your poll excludes my 21 speed speed tourer.

Come to think of it, hjere are some other options not covered:

Single speed
    Three Speed
    Five speed
    Six Speed
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    vernonlevy wrote:

Shame, your poll excludes my 21 speed speed tourer.

vernon

when I first read this I thought it said 21 STONE tourer :D

sorry mate

george ( 22 days to go)
  • Nine speed triple with mountain bike gearing
  • errr...

six.

14-24 on the back, 30/46/48 on the front.

same number of (usable) ratios as a 27-speed, but I only have one copy of each.

...and I know where to find the next one up/down when I'm tired and my brain won't work.

(seriously I've had this setup for 18 months and it's great. I wouldn't want the double shifts if I was in a race (I imagine), but I'm touring.)

does anybody out there use a back sprocket smaller than 14t?
  • Thom
    247 views but only 12 votes?
  • 7 speed at the moment - 12-32 and a 39 ring. I've got a 48/34 compact to put on as soon as I get the old cranks off which will be hard as I've buggered the threads. :oops:
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    I'd be happy with 5 or 6, except parts are not easily available everywhere. So 8 seems the best compromise.
  • Not enough...... :o
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Thom wrote:
    247 views but only 12 votes?
    Sorry, haven't got a touring bike! Just wanted to see what the consensus was.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • 7 speed at the moment - 12-32 and a 39 ring. I've got a 48/34 compact to put on as soon as I get the old cranks off

TheDoctor: Ally cranks come off nicely with a hacksaw.

But you can't use them again afterwards.

Obviously.

Do you use your 12 much (even with the 39 ring)?

moorjohn
  • moorjohn wrote:

TheDoctor: Ally cranks come off nicely with a hacksaw. moorjohn

I'd guessed they might. I'd like to get them off and have them usable if I can, but I suspect I might end up using saws and big hammers anyway.
    moorjohn wrote:
    Do you use your 12 much (even with the 39 ring)? moorjohn
    Not that much, no. It's nice to have it there for those downhill tailwind moments.Plus I need it to stop the rest of the cassette rattling about. :D I can't see 48/12 getting much use on the new chainset either!
  • sjs cycles had some 16-21 blocks a while back. 16 top would have been fine for me, but 21 is a bit limiting...

I've seen flywheel pullers suggested for stuck cranks. All depends on whether you can get some purchase on the crank with the hooks.

Or get the LBS to suffer with it. At worst you'll be able to comfort yourself with the thought that the professionals couldn't do it either.

moorjohn