First MTB

eazyrog
eazyrog Posts: 2
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hello everyone,

I've decided to join the world of MTB's mainly to have some fun but also to try and get a little fitter.

After doing some reasearch i have maneged to find a second hand bike to start off, its in great condition, i'm just not sure if its the right bike for me.

Would you please let me know your thoughts on this bike, i will be 80% using it on the streets and the rest off road.

its called a Kona Shred 2006 model, all standard. it's costing me £270.00.

here's the link :
http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2k6bikes/shred_2k6.php

Any comments would be great, good or bad....

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Streets as in commuting, or stunt riding? Its a pretty bad spec for its RRP, better for the price you are getting, but be aware you will have no warranty or back up buying second hand. You may well be best off going to a good bike shop and trying a few out: they will also set it up for you, give you a free service, after sales care and you know it will be sound. This stuff essential for a beginer.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I agree with supersonic on the shop issue, its get me nicely off and running. I could probably set up my own new bike now but when I got my bike and really took to mountain biking I was clueless. I also lack all the tools to do a service atm so the free one is really useful.

On a side note.

Are those the standard MX2s? Tthe rotors look nothing like the ones on my bike then again mine is an 07 model.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Dav1 yes they are the standard mx2's but for some reason they appear to come with the v6 rotor i.e. with the "V"s on the outer edge of the rotor and they put the old style discs back on for '07 without the "V" and worse heat dissipation.
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    damn, my rotors are the 07s so they look a bit dull.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • could you tell me where you are geting the kona from please
  • for that price its good but halfords do the carrera vulcan brand new which i reckon is just as good
    if we need trees for the air we breathe..

then how come when we hit the tree it takes the air out of us??... ( trees...the selfish b***erds want it back!! )