Richmond to Windsor

The bowel cancer charity ride tommorow, anyone on here doing it?

Comments

• Did it! :D

Woke up in the morning feeling a bit ill, so didn't eat anything except a cereal bar (not a good idea, but I didn't suffer too much because of it). Checked the weather reports... we'd be riding into a headwind.
    I stopped once to fill up my bottles and go to the loo. Witnessed one crash. Well, I heard a loud bang behind me and saw a cyclist on the ground. He sprung back up pretty quick though!
    Didn't like the 3 miles of "off road" gravel stuff. Felt like my wheels were going to slip from under me!

I didn't ride back. The tank was well and truly empty. Though I wish I did because i hated the train ride.

End time via my GPS. 37.75miles. Average speed 16.5. Total ride time 2hrs 17 miin.
    (slightly adjusted 'cos I forgot to turn off the damned thing while going to the loo :oops: )

If anyone has a 'real' cycle computer :wink: I'd like to know the distance for the long route if it's any different to mine. Ta!

A good day out. The headwind made it a bit of a chore. But finishing was great.
    :D
  • overmars
    Hi Overmars, my computer read the same as yours give or take 1/10 or so.
    I was not happy about the gravel either like riding on tenderhooks waiting for a puncture.
    I thought it was very well organized, i was going to ride back but my son was riding with me and he had some knee problems so we caught the train as well.

Loved the the last hill nice steep short climb.

Steve
    Steveaps
  • ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    My club run passed some of the stragglers near Windsor. It was quite funny hearing one of them say to another "they're really racing" when we were just doing a line at about 22mph.

Also nice to get free marshaling on the awkward road crossing at Old Windsor
  • Steveaps wrote:
    overmars
    Hi Overmars, my computer read the same as yours give or take 1/10 or so.
    I was not happy about the gravel either like riding on tenderhooks waiting for a puncture.
    I thought it was very well organized, i was going to ride back but my son was riding with me and he had some knee problems so we caught the train as well.

Loved the the last hill nice steep short climb.

Steve

Yes, very well marshalled. I was a bit surprised to see so many really! Glad they were there.
  • Enjoyed it very much.

Got 1h54mins with one stop just to get some more cereal bars out of the saddle bag, pretty impressive for a 15yr old in my opinion :)

I also enjoyed laughing at the people walking their bikes up the spread out hill as i cycled past.

Also wish i had ridden back as train journey wasn't nice and was anyone else on the train back to Richmond that i was? it was really packed with bikes.

Anyone see me on the ride aswell? i was on a carbon and scandium (raw carbon and silver) on one prototype with rigid mountain bike geometry, anyone else on recognizable bike as i probably saw you.
  • Very impressive! :D 1hr 54 is a great time! Well done! The quickest I've heard is 1hr 45 made by Maurice of De Ver cycles (avoiding the gravel pit).

Ok, my excuses: (ahem) I had a camera strapped to my head. Recorded the whole ride.
    Plus riding in the gravel was like skating on ice.

I wanna get back out there now!
  • Ah well i had put tires with a bit of grip on and a bit wider than usual so gravel was ok for me to power through plus i didnt really need and stops so most time stopped was about 2 minutes.

I would love to do it again right now

By the way do you still have you footage? if so is it possible to upload to youtube or something as i would love to see it.
  • I've got well over two hours of footage!

Interesting to watch because I can tell where I slacked off and lost time. And no one passed me! (bit surprised at that). Well one guy did, but I dropped him, Bwah,ha,ha,ha!!! :twisted: Saw some really nice bikes too... But it wasn't a race!

I'll try and post something interesting soon. :D
  • overmars what bike did you ride and what were you wearing
    Steveaps
  • Steveaps wrote:
    overmars what bike did you ride and what were you wearing

what about you steveaps?
  • i was riding a SCR3 with a red altura jersey
    Steveaps
  • Steveaps wrote:
    i was riding a SCR3 with a red altura jersey

I think i saw you, what number where you?

You didnt happen to see me did you?
  • Steveaps
    Steveaps Posts: 36
    edited September 2007

What were you riding and wearing
    Steveaps
  • Steveaps wrote:

I think i saw you on the longer one of the hills cycling up, im quite sure but i may be wrong.
  • probably i dont get off the bike once im on it.

Had to stop a couple of times to wait for my son who was struggling with a knee injury
    Steveaps
  • it may have been i dont walk up hills, i was waiting at the top of most of them for my son who was struggling with a knee injury
    Steveaps