Light Touring

ALIW49
ALIW49 Posts: 2
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi
I am now completely confused. I am thinking of purchasing a light touring type bike for holidays in France (40-50 miles per day etc). So far I've been recommended a Giant CRS1, a Specialized Sirrus, a Ridgeback Supernova, a Dawes Kara Kum and the list is getting longer and more confusing. I'm a 49 year old 5'6'' female, 30'' leg and willing to pay up to £500 for a bike. Would like something strong and capable of carrying panniers mainly on back, comfortable with 27 gears, for mainly roads but also canal tow paths if necessary. Anyone have any more suggestions or able to narrow my list down? Thanks in advance and sorry to repeat the age old 'which touring bike' question.

ASW

Comments

• I assume you have checked out the other thread on this forum. Hey they will all do the job. Take them all for a test ride and go with the one that is the most comfortable first and best deal second. From my own experience using both flat and drop bars. I'de chose one with drop bars. Good luck. Lets us know what you decide.
    Cheers Brian
  • Whatever bike you choose do make sure that the top tube length is short enough for you. The most common problem with women riders is that this is too long, in that the vast majority of bikes are designed to suit men. While it is possible to move the saddle forward and buy a shorter bar stem, better by far is buying a bike with a top tube that suits a woman's physique.