Hayes HFX-9

HenryF
HenryF Posts: 163
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive been having some problems with my HFX-9 brakes. The pistons seem to come out so that the pads are either touching or almost touching the rotor (it depends how much they are used) but when i try to push the piston back in it is very hard to do. After a couple of rides, it seems that the pistons are back to how they were. Im about to replace the pads on the rear brake due to this problem, the pad on the right of the rear calliper is pushed so much that it rubs most of the time.
Any help appreciated

Henry

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you tried realigning the caliper?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HenryF
    yes, i tried that today, but maybe i did it wrong. At this point the pistons were in the wrong position...
    I undid the two bolts which hold the caliper on to the mounting bracket (not the frame), then i squeezed the lever and whilst squeezing the lever tightened the bolts. then i let go of the lever, as you do...

Is there something generally wrong with hayes brakes, ive got saints on my full suss and theyve been fine, ive been hearing loads of stories about hayes brakes re-aligning themselves and generally going wrong. Also, can anyone recommend good pads to replace the originals with?
    thanks

Henry
  • nicklouse
    hayes do need the pistons keeping clean or they do stick.

EBC pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • HenryF
    where can i get hold of the EBC brake pads? also, how would you suggest cleaning the pistons? could the fact that theyre dirty mean that is why they are hard to push in?

Henry
  • nicklouse
    brake cleaner and a tooth brush or something smaller.

any shop look on CRC.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I've had some hassle with my Hayes 9's since the bike was new to. The inside rear pad I just can't get set right combined with the large caliper housing. If I get it set so the rotor doesn't rub at the back of the housing (I wish the slot was a bit wider...) it will be very close or rubbing to the inner pad the result is the inner pad is about twice as worn now as the outer. If I just follow the instructions and try and centre the calipers the rotor ends up rubbing slightly against the housing at the back. It just seems all the tolerances are too tight, you've got like 1mm to play with (and it doesn't help my rear wheel seems to have about 2mm tolerance when I refit it).
  • TonyS
    TonyS Posts: 104
    Expensive option, but does work, is to get some 'muck-off' disk brake cleaner spray and after each ride spray into the caliber. It's also supposed to 'rehydrate' the pads whatever that means.

Otherwise it's wheels off, pads out after each ride to make sure all the sh1t is cleaned out.
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    I'm glad to see other people with problems with hayes - thought it was just mine - just changed wheelset to Pro2s and the rotor is binding on the brake cliper slot no matter how much I alter the position of the caliper. I'm hoping offsettign the caliper with a couple of thin washers will do the trick. I think the pro2 hubs are very slightly narrower than my old Alex rims. hence the problem.
    Dave - Spin instructor
    I'm glad to see other people with problems with hayes - thought it was just mine - just changed wheelset to Pro2s and the rotor is binding on the brake cliper slot no matter how much I alter the position of the caliper. I'm hoping offsettign the caliper with a couple of thin washers will do the trick. I think the pro2 hubs are very slightly narrower than my old Alex rims. hence the problem.

hubs rims!!'

what were the old hubs?
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    apologies, Alex hubs, Alex rim and hub, oem wheel on Nitrous
    Dave - Spin instructor

20mm axel should have 15mm

and a Qr hub 10mm

look at the hud drawing links in the disc brake sticky.