8 speed shifters on a 9 speed set up?

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
edited August 2007 in Workshop
Missus has been off her hybrid bike for 18mths (pregnancy and ensuing baby duties) and I am getting it roadworthy again. Have gone a bit over the top and placed an order for a whole bunch of new stuff, including upgrading chainset, chain, casettee, front and rear mech. Have bought it all online and it is 9-speed Shimano Deore. Hoped that I had it all covered, but just had a thought - the old shifters (Shimano LX) are 8 speed and I don't know if they will be compatible with the new 9-speed kit.

Hmmm....am doing this more for the fun of the refurbishment than anything else, but if I need to buy new shifters on top of everything else it will become a worryingly expensive project. Anyone know if the old shifters will suffice, or will the indexing / range of movement be wrong?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you have an 9 spd cassette then you will need a 9 spd shifter.

not posible to mix 8 and 9 as the spacing is different.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gussio
    Curses. More expense.....
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I'm afraid you're out of luck. Look towadrs the bottom of this page:-

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

If you were to sell your 8 speed shifters though you would be able to buy a 2nd hand pair of 9 speed ones at little or no loss.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can get away with using the left hand one with minor probs. but the right one will have to be replaced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gussio
    nicklouse wrote:
    you can get away with using the left hand one with minor probs. but the right one will have to be replaced.

Right you are - a quick scan of eBay shows a ready market for both 8 and 9 speed shifters. She will just have to make do with some second hand shifters. It is either that, or the nipper needs to be put out to work!

Thanks for the advice.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Gussio wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Right you are - a quick scan of eBay shows a ready market for both 8 and 9 speed shifters. She will just have to make do with some second hand shifters. It is either that, or the nipper needs to be put out to work!

Thanks for the advice.

Gussio I may have some 9-speeders knocking around, have emailed you
    <a>road</a>
  • Gussio
    mucho gracias senor el presidente