Single speed/fix gear recomendations

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I'm looking at getting a 2 in 1 bike with a rear wheel I can turn around and either free wheel or not

Am I being a big girl or is it a good use of bike space?

Any makes and models you guys would recommend... under a grand if you please.

cheers
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I know everyone's got one now but:-

Specializer Langster - seen plenty around for £400 in shops now.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    The Langster looks amazing...

Without wanting to sound like a numpty; what's the attraction behind riding fixed:?:
  • The bikes are almost zero maintenance, light and perfect for commuting. The fixed experience improves strength and suppleness at the same time, far quicker than on a normal bike. If you ride a fixed 20 miles, you ride 20 miles. On a geared bike you probably freewheel quite a lot of those 20 miles.And the bikes are pretty much silent. None of this ridiculous gear rattle. My fixed has been the best purchase of the year.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I bought a langster a few weeks back - it's a whole load of fun. Lightweight and feels so fast - for town trips and general fun riding I have barely touched my geard road bike since. The wheels feel a bit 'cheap' but at £349 it is very good value. Same geometry as the allez so a decently comfy ride too!

Fixed does 'feel' good to ride and not as dangerous / mad as it sounds. and as said the bike is almost zero maintenance - I really like how silent it is - you don't realise how loud deraillers and jockey wheels and freewheels are untill you get rid of them!!
  • Fuji do a good cheap fixed wheel bike.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    rdaviesb wrote:
    .And the bikes are pretty much silent. None of this ridiculous gear rattle. My fixed has been the best purchase of the year.

totally agree

First week out I had two near collisions with people walking out into the road because they couldn't hear me coming, second time they shouted the obligatory "why don't you slow down , you *******" which i was quite chuffed about because i was going uphill at the time :)
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?