CatEye Double Shot vs. Nite Rider Minewt

Steven Martin
Steven Martin Posts: 280
edited August 2007 in Workshop
Hello,

Does anyone have views on which would be better for raod riding?

Thanks

Steven

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Not used either, but I have a downer on cateye products after the fitting of the lamp to the braket on my ABS-10 fell apart due to poor design (inside it had an ordinary square nut, no threadlock, anti-rattle / spring washer or nyloc nut, it was bound to come loose as the lamp is designed to swivle on the bracket - very poor design). When it fell apart on the road (dangling the light dangerously near the spokes) it lost a very tiny spring (about 5mm long) from the bracket, which was essential to locking the lamp on the bracket.

Okay, a very poor design, but surely the warranty will cover this - no chance!

Warranty support is through Zyro, and I asked repeatedly for them to address my point that it was a warranty issue - although they replied to my frequent emails promptly they just completely ignored all reference to the warranty - I ended up paying the (albeit trivial - £3.95) charge for the part but I am really pi**ed off by this kind of "service" - I said
    I was somewhat surprised, however, that you should request payment when the light clearly failed because of a design fault, and as such should be covered by a warranty. I am sure you will have experience of other lights failing in the same way. This approach is in stark contrast with companies such as Specialized, who have always been fantastic in replacing such items immediately, free of charge, without quibble, and with an apology. For the small cost of this item, it isn’t worth my time to make an issue about this, suffice to say I will avoid Cateye and Zyro distributed products in the future.
    I got no response to that comment either (and I didn't escalate or get pi**y until it was clear they were going to be ignorant).

For these reasons (poor design / fragility) and more importantly, refusal to deal with warranty issues properly I will never ever buy Cateye again.

I don't mind paying higher prices for premium products, but I expect premium service if I do (well even basic after sales service!).

Glad I got that off my chest!

In contrast to this, a few weeks ago my 7ish year old VDO analogue computer packed up - VDO offer a 5 year warranty, but I had a go - nothing to lose, and sent it back to them in Germany - 10 days later I got a brand new model (better) free of charge, no quibble - I will be loyal to such brands, they went well beyond what I had a right to expect. I don't suppose for a second I would have got that on a Cateye computer.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    I have the Minewt, no experience of the Cateye so can’t make a comparison.
    I’ve been pleased with it, excellent beam pattern and good run times.
    And it just got better, the Minewt X2 is one of the first bike lights to use the newer LEDs.
    http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewtx2.shtml