reba spacers

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited August 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey

took my bike in to thave the travel dropped from 115mm to 100mm which i understand means putting in ONE of the supplied spacers

Now when i went back to the shop they told me that despite the exposed bit of stantion measuring 115mm that the forks were set at 80mmm and putting in the spacers INCREASED the height to 100 - whuilst not increasing the exposed stantion length

looking at the tech sheets here - http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95- ... 0Guide.pdf

this seems like ther most collasal balls, now i do trust the LBS but has he got this confused with another make of fork - if not can someone explain how putting IN spacers casues an INCREASE in travel

Many Thanks

Dave
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited August 2007
    Mmm i think they have got it wrong.

you got the air one?

let air out and see how far it moves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shop is talking bollocks. To be frank. too much negative air can pull the fork down.
  • ddraver
    i ll have a go tomorrow - this would be the first time they ve mucked up - maybe they re gertting too big for their boots now

presumably it does nt need to be a rock shox specific shop (although they may well be...)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    OK update - the forks compress down fully but still some stantionis seen - using a zip tie the distance between maximum compression and the start of the fort leg is about 100mm

I was under the impression that droopping the travel dropped the ride height- otyher wise why not just have a 115mm fork
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It does reduce the exposed stanchion - the spacers that are placed in the bottom part of the fork will not allow the fork to extend any further. You will still have some exposed stanchion, maybe 5mm extra - you dont want the crown crashing into the seals! The fork overall will be 15mm shorter than before with the spacer correctly fitted.
  • ddraver
    Yeah took it in and gort the head mechanic guy to look at it after taking him to the SRAM website and showing him the documents - they had it way wrong!!!

heard the sound of some sunmmer job guy being bollocked above!!!

they were very contrite when they gave it back no no damage done so not a problem
    - @ddraver