intergrated headset help.

kochack
kochack Posts: 36
edited August 2007 in Workshop
hi,just swapped over a set of forks,i kept the original headset, added some more spacers on my new fork,cut the fork but can't seem to get rid of that rocking of the hole fork when i have tightened the carbon bung.the headset is a campag chorus.what am i doing wrong. p.s i have added quite a few spacers does that matter ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you did swap over the crown race?

and there is space to allow the bearings to be preloaded without the top cap contacting the top of the steerer tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Be careful thatr you are not tightening the top bung too much, you don't want to damage it. I'd take it apart and reasemble it, and take you're time. I had a bike shop make me nearly believe that my frame was for the bin as even they were having trouble with the integrated headset, fixed it myself and it was OK.
  • kochack
    yep, changed over the crown race and left enough space at the top of the fork to be preloaded when tightening the bung?
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    You can have a fairly large stack of spacers with no problems whatsoever. First, have you moved the crown race to the new fork? If you have, it is most likely that you have left the steerer tube slightly too long, which would stop the top cap applying pressure onto the headset bearings. The spacer stack/stem should be around 3mm higher than the top of the steerer tube once assembled.

Gary

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • nicklouse
    mm in that case there is no reason for a problem.

all the headset is there including the top locating wedge?

movement in a headset can only come from 3 things. missing parts. incorrect preload. worn parts.

i would go back through it and double check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • kochack
    yep, done all that.
  • kochack
    whats a top locating wedge ?
  • nicklouse
    and there was no play before with the old fork. and the bearings are the same.

the reason i ask is that there (as i am sure you know) more than one version of the integrated headset which use different angles iirc 45 and 36 degrees so they are not cross compatable.

but if everything is correct and present all i can sugest is replace the headset.

final thought the expander is not moving as you preload the heaset?
  • kochack
    its all the original headset,was working fine before,only difference is it is a cabon steerer as aposed to a cr mo.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Are you tightening the top cap before tightening the stem bolts?

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • kochack
    yes.
  • nicklouse
    kochack wrote:
    whats a top locating wedge ?
    ring that goes into the top bearing to stop the steerer moving in the top bearing.
    Does the same job as the crown race.

also called a centering sleeve in this pic here. can be plastic or metal.

headtype30.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Got the lower bearing the right way up? Equally, if the crown race is incorrect or not properly seated, then this will lead to movement. Sometimes, you need bigger gap than 3mm between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem because of extra-deep headset caps still hitting the top of the steerer - try fitting an extra spacer under the topcap to make sure. Whatever you do, don't leave it for long as the movement has the potential to fret and knacker your frame.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kochack
    the centering sleeve is a bit tight on the carbon steerer,hard to push down and the crown race looks ok but it's on a full carbon fork so it might not be seated correctly.it looks like the bike shop tomorrow then.