titanium for a heavy weight

gbr236
gbr236 Posts: 393
edited August 2007 in Workshop
with 1000 to spend on a frame for sunday am rides, sportives etc. I like a sprightly ride...
I have riden carbon (spesh roubaix) but felt rather 'dull' to ride.
I like the look of titanium rather than the cheaper carbon (eg giant tcr) frames on the marker. But what will take 95kg!
Sunday bicycles?
Van nichols?

Comments

• Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    since july have ridden Van N yukon ,frame great at absorbing road shock ,really comfy Butatthe sme time still light and quick Great do everything bike
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I like the look of the sunday bicycles - in particualr the silk road model (not the 'pro' one) as this has a slightly higher head tube for a bit more "sportive oriented" riding position - still not as high as a roubaix though.

Hopefully the silk road will be the basis of my summer 08 project build - I am currently thinking of silk road / centaur / ksyrium ES
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    I think the concept of a maximum weight is a relatively new one based mainly on the ever decreasing weights (and subsequent decrease in robustness) of first aluminium and now carbon frames.

I think most, if not all, titanium frames should be able to accomodate a weight of 95 kgs without any worries. That said, I'd confirm it with the manufacturer first if you are worried about it.
  • 95kg is OK for titanium, although the more robust set up of Specialized TriCross and Van NIcholas Amazon may be worth considering.

What did you mean about Specialized Roubaix being dull though? Roubaix is by design a fast day ride comfortable bike; almost race bike quick infact to the extent that some of the Pros even use it occasionally as such; in Paris-Rouibax for example. It shares a similar geometry to the Tricross as well Van Nicholas Amazon and Yukon, essentially a race bike rear seat tube angle and slightly shallower head tube angle.

Cruising along a frame of this geometry should feel comfortable and stable. Unloaded and riding on a flat level road, it should feel quick; never quite as quick as a full on race bike but relatively fast nonetheless. If I had to highlight the difference of riding this style of geometry makes over a race bike, then personally I would say I only notice a slight drop off in performance when climbing or sprinting out of the saddle. The rest of the time it is much closer, which is exactly what they claim it is designed to be.

Titanium lends itself well to bikes like these, the Van NIcholas models above are often set up as Audax and touring bikes, which by nature of use seldom lead a precious life that many race bikes enjoy. In many ways an evolution of steel, relatively light, durable, robust and very comfortable, won't even rust, titanium is as near a bike for life as it is possible to get. Carbon will be lighter but not as robust, so where as Van Nicholas Amazon and Yukon will normally be fitted with guards for all weather riding, carbon bikes are generally more of fair weather option as not designed to take guards,often they do lead the same precious life that is normally only reserved for race bikes.

All the bikes above as stated have a similar geometry, if you are looking for race bike quick and in your case a race bike feel to alievate that "dull" feeling then race bikes are what you may need to consider. Not Roubaix but Tarmac, or Van Nicholas Chinook for example. If by "dull" you mean that it felt a bit underwhelming then that is a often said; initially.

This is because both titanium and carbon absorb resinance well, as such it can feel like you are always riding on a smooth road, which can mean that at first it may not feel as quick when compaired to a full on race bike, especially one built with Aluminium Alloy, which by comparison will transmit the road surface much more, which also by the same token can make a bike feel quick, when smooth it can at first feel slower, it is only when you find that you are still keeping up with your clubmates just as easily that it wins you over, especially when you feel less battered around at the end of a long ride, after all if the bike isn't absorbing the resinance then it normally means that the rider is; which at my age is just so tiring :lol:

Paul_ Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

gbr236 wrote:
    with 1000 to spend on a frame for sunday am rides, sportives etc. I like a sprightly ride...
    I have riden carbon (spesh roubaix) but felt rather 'dull' to ride.
    I like the look of titanium rather than the cheaper carbon (eg giant tcr) frames on the marker. But what will take 95kg!
    Sunday bicycles?
    Van nichols?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Agree about the Roubaix - I've heard people complain that it is a dull ride, but I love mine and have had more fun on it than any other bike. As far as I can see, the only compromise is the height of the head tube and, frankly, as a stiff old 40 something with a bit of a beergut, I wouldn't make it down to lower drops anyway.

also, my 95 kilos haven't upset the geometry so far!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)