Cutting braided brake hose

house_trained
house_trained Posts: 41
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm getting some Fibrax braided hose tomorrow, to give my Formula B4's a bit of much needed attention. I've only got a pair of pliers - that have done the job for me up till now, but I'm not so sure that they'll give me a decent clean cut through braided stainless steel. No doubt there'll be an instruction sheet with the hose that makes everything crystal clear, but does anyone have any personal experience with these things? And more to the point, does anyone feel like sharing it with me?

Many Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    angle grinder or proper cable cutters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nicklouse. Would that be the curved bladed cable cutters, like park tools sell? I'll be getting the hose through Chainreactioncycles tomorrow, so should arrive Saturday. I can pop to a hardware shop in my lunch break tommorow, so i've got everything ready for Saturday. I take it that a stanley knife would just make a dog's dinner of the cut then?
  • skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    Ohhhhhhh Yeeessss!
    Get your self a good set of cable cutters. They only cost about £30 for Shimano or Park Tools.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i like the Knipex ones for hydro hoses.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I just ended up using my pliers in the end. Hoses came through on Saturday, and I tried a cut on the end of one. Made a clean cut, although the kevlar was a bit of a pain. Couldn't find some of the attachments for my bleed kit (i'll blame the kids, but I probably just put them somewhere safe and then forgot where) so there was lots of sweating and swearing, but it all went ok, in a Heath Robinson style. Front brake is still a little soggy, so i'll re-bleed that again tonight, but the back brake is much better - and that's only on a 140mm rotor. I'd recommend these hose to anyone. Cheers for all your help.
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    I use my BBB cable cutters, does a neat job with no fraying
    Dave - Spin instructor

I was going to buy those BBB cutters from CRC, but didn't need them in the end
  • daxion
    daxion Posts: 104
    Thanks

It's like having an anchor behind you. They really do live up to the hype, stop like nothing else, especially the 8" version. I have Hayes Nines (8") on my Enduro which I though were good but compared to the Codes they feel like cable brakes, lol.

There is a lot of feel in the brake, modulates well and only requires a little pressure to brake.
    Fixing the brakes to the bike is so quick and easy, well worth the money.

BTW the Totems are awesome.
    Dave - Spin instructor