Longest stretch of singletrack?

hednesfordxcer
hednesfordxcer Posts: 208
edited September 2007 in MTB general
I love "bombing" down a piece of singletrack, but all too often it ends too quick. Are there any "endless" pieces of singletrack out there, pref in staffordshire, but it would be nice to know of others in UK, cheers :)
Where'd that bloody Deer appear from?

My Bike plus Cannock Chase: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8222097@N03/492524919/

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Don't know about Staffordshire, but, I ride a 25 mile singletrack....

Oh, hang on, that's only in my dreams :wink:
    Damn I'm off for a sleep :!: :!: :!:
  • baccaman21
    baccaman21 Posts: 523
    I'm assuming you mean a piece of singletrack that's mainly descending... as in going down... I'd be surprised you'd find that much in Staffordshire... head up north a few miles to the peaks you'll find some... but you'll have to work hard to get to them...

Impished... I'm curious to know this 25m singletrack in SE england... or is there something I've missed?

:)
    get on your bikes and ride!
  • impished wrote:
    Don't know about Staffordshire, but, I ride a 25 mile singletrack....

Oh, hang on, that's only in my dreams :wink:
    Damn I'm off for a sleep :!: :!: :!:

Yep you did.
  • baccaman21
    baccaman21 Posts: 523
    I SWEAR THAT WASN'T THERE BEFORE!??!

ho hum... it is getting late. :P
  • Hi there!

I am new in England, but I am looking for just what you described... nice singletracks! What about the peaks, where can I get more information about different tracks or maps.
    If one of you guys has been there before - what i do assume - what are the trails like, there? sandy, muddy, steep, long, smooth or rather tricky...
    besides from that, in general, would you recommend me to go to the peaks or do you think the lake district is even better?

Looking forward for some opinions!

christian
  • billy79
    billy79 Posts: 607
    Check out www.moredirt.co.uk, got plenty of places listed to go ride.
    A PLACE FOR RIDERS
    http://www.moredirt.co.uk
  • Well am geussing the peaks is scotland yes.Well the railsup here are muddy/rooty/and in some places very technical.

hope that helps
  • Well am geussing the peaks is scotland yes.Well the railsup here are muddy/rooty/and in some places very technical.

hope that helps

I took it to be the Peak District. Derbyshire, South Yorks area. Quite local to Staffs. I may be wrong.

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • surely the peaks are the peaks... as in the white peak and the dark peak as in hope, thorpe, jacobs ladder, stanage, buxton, etc etc

I'd have thought that scotland would be the highlands, or the stanes...

Das_Chris
    I can only speak for the peak district as my knowledge of the lakes is limited to 'just' hiking (not managed to get the bike there yet) - but as far as the peaks are concerned it's excellent terrain for MTB's - as for surface, Iknow the white peak is mainly limestone, not sure of the dark peak as my knowledge is mainly in the white peak and over the west toward buxton and macc. Either way it has some terrific riding, single track, double track, technical ups and downs ("The beast" being a particularly interesting challenge and jacobs ladder is always fun [despite the local authority taming it a great deal recently])

To be honest it depends on your expectations and where you've come from AND your geographic location in the UK. There's nice singletrack in Wales, Nice singletrack in Scotland, and of course in England too... Purpose built or Natural... but it all takes effort and time to get to.

so, where are you? Where've you come from and what are your expectations?
  • Thanks for all your replies!

At the moment I am in Stowmarket, Suffolk - probably the flattest part of englands countryside... Originally, I come from south germany, near Stuttgart, if you know it. So the alps were never far away and the swabian jura, a low mountain range just in front of my door served me to ride my bike.
    This summer, I crossed the alps together with my brother in ten days with an average of 1600 meters of difference in elevation a day. Though I have hardly been cycling for the last two months I think I am still quite fit.
    My expectations.. For me, the surrounding is probably just as important as the trail itself. Though the trails i like most are the fast ones, the ones that have flow. I dont need big jumps and stunts all the time. All in all i would say as long as possible, smooth, some tricky passages and every now and then a nice jump. Somehow like surfing...
    One more thing: the less pedestrians, the better - naturally.

i hope that helped...

PS: bike: cheetah JOAT, 140mm travel
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Coed y Brenin's MBR trail has some superb singletrack. actually the entire loop made almost entirely of sweet singletrack - apart from the climbs which are on fireroads.
  • I think that you need to check out the classics of CYB, Glentress & Innerleithen.

so that's wales and scotland for you .

:)