shock pump

Tony06
Tony06 Posts: 311
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I need a shock pump for my marzocchi 06 z1 light eta forks. just wondering what you reccomend would this be my best bet??? http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1109

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I use this one Had no problems with it in 18 months, almost identical to the Fox shock pump too!
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tony06 wrote:
    I need a shock pump for my marzocchi 06 z1 light eta forks. just wondering what you reccomend would this be my best bet??? http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1109

good you will be able to read the gauge.
    Andy_B wrote:
    I use this one Had no problems with it in 18 months, almost identical to the Fox shock pump too!
    bad for a low pressure fork ok for a shock though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Tony06
    im about to order this one.. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ump%202006

will it definitely work as i dont want to order it to find out it doesnt fit!!
  • nicklouse
    it is the same pump as you first linked to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Tony06
    crc have discontinued it.. will it work without needing an adaptor??
  • nicklouse
    if you need an adaptor it will have come with your fork.
  • Tony06
    i bought them 2nd hand from my lbs they didnt give me an adaptor... will i need this with any normal shock pump?? http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.a ... elID=19020
  • nicklouse
    if the fork needs an adaptor you will need to get one. and tbh i can not remember if that Z1 needs one ore not, are the valves on it car type?
  • Tony06
    no its a small valve beneath the rebound adjustment (rc2)
  • nicklouse
    then you will need an adaptor.
  • Tony06
    and does anyone know if the one i linked to above is the correct one??
  • nicklouse
    AirAdaptor_2.jpg

is what you will also need.
  • Tony06
    thanks a million your a life saver nicklouse!!!
  • nicklouse
    and if you had looked at the manual (downloadable from Marz's site) you would also have seen that you needed it. pressure settings are in the manual as well just in case you were going to ask.
  • Dave F.
    Dave F. Posts: 41
    edited August 2007
    NickL wrote:
    Andy_B wrote:
    bad for a low pressure fork ok for a shock though.

Nick
    Could you expand on why it's unsuitable for lower pressures?

Cheers
    Dave F.
  • nicklouse
    try reading a low presure on a high pressure guage.

the pump is the same but the guage is easier to read if you get the right one for the job in hand.
  • Dave F.
    nicklouse wrote:

the pump is the same but the guage is easier to read if you get the right one for the job in hand.

I would agree if the differences were great but it says it's max of 300psi so for a fork pressure it would be about a third of that(?). The marked divisions on the dial would be the same for both pressures & at the same scale so I'm unclear as to why it would be "bad" to read.

Cheers
    Dave F.
  • nicklouse
    depends on the fork.

with the one mentioned the pressure could be anywhere from 30-65 psi a lot easier to read on a 100psi gauge than a 300psi gauge.
  • Dave F.
    nicklouse wrote:

OK.
    "bad for a low pressure fork ok for a shock though."

So to clarify what you mean by 'bad':
    Not 'bad', as in 'It'll do damage to your bike'

But 'bad', as in 'It'll be a little inconvenient to read'
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very inconveniant, I have used some pumps and put 50psi in (using another guage) and it hasnt even registered on the pump.
  • nicklouse
    inconvenient No stupid. if you are wanting to add 220ml of oil to a fork do you use a measure graduated in ml's or dL? Or lets say you want to measure the width of a shock bush do you use an imperial or a metric measure?

it is always bad practice to measure something at the extremes of the device.

the reason i have 3 touque wrenches, 2 shock/fork pumps. a micrometer and vernier guages to supliment a steel rule.
  • Appologies for the delay, but I've been doing something more interesting.
    nicklouse wrote:
    inconvenient No stupid.
    Oi, pal, less of the attempted insults. It just makes you look even more arrogant than you actually are.
    if you are wanting to add 220ml of oil to a fork do you use a measure graduated in ml's or dL?
    Err... Well, ml of course. :roll:
    We were talking about the accuracy of the dial readout of the same scale.
    Don't change your argument to try to prove a point. It doesn't work.

For example say I got a pump that went up to 300psi. I need to pump the forks to 100psi & the rear to 225psi (more if I eat all the pies). I fail to see how it needle would give a less accurate readout. Even if the fork pressure was as low as 50.
    Or lets say you want to measure the width of a shock bush do you use an imperial or a metric measure?
    Err.. depends on what side of the Atlantic you're on.
    it is always bad practice to measure something at the extremes of the device.
    But for the example i gave (which appear to be coomon values) it would be well within it's parameters.
    the reason i have 3 touque wrenches, 2 shock/fork pumps. a micrometer and vernier guages to supliment a steel rule.