Serious question: Why do you do it?

13»

Comments

• I get shaky if I'm not within 5 yards of concrete.
    Knackered? Me?
  • Why do I cycle?
    When I was young, owning a cycle was something to be proud of and very few kids had new bikes. I got my first beat up clanger when I was about 13 ... looking back on those days, it was great for developing mechanical skills but I did not appreciate it at the time. I grew to love riding bikes. At about 15 I persuaded my father to buy me a new bike so that I could go to school on it ... I paid for it by giving dad the school busfare grant we got from the concil. That bike took me everywhere, not just school and back. It started as a 4 gear (Benelux, 1/8 inch chain) but I converted it to 5 gear with Huret Eco gear. It even took me up Porlock hill.
    At 18, college beckoned and I shipped it out to Aberystwyth to let me get around a bit. Then on one shipping it was damaged by the carrier. It looked as if a trunk had been dropped on the top tube as it was buckled. A new bike was bought ... I hitchhiked to Shrewsbury one Saturday morning, bought a bike and rode it back over the hills to Aberystwyth. I can still remember the hard leather saddle (it eventually wore in...).
    Back home for the summer it served as transport for me until a lorry ignored a STOP sign and took me out on my way home. Exit me for 6 months in plaster and exit bike. Somehow it put me off riding at that time so I sold the repaired bike and did not own a bike for a fewof years.
    Then moved to Cambridge ... saw everyone on bikes so was given father-in law's old Humber to commute around town. Then moved 10 miles out of town and, getting fed up with traffic jams and my declining fitness, bought a bike (Carlton Continental 5 gear from Halfords) to commute from Fenstanton to Cambridge. This was the era before the A14. Did this for a few years, then moved job to a company that ran a bus service for staff. Cycling to work was not really an option and I ceased for about a year. Then rekindled the urge just for leisure. Decided to upgrade my steed ... a Raleigh 10 gear... goldish colour, 531 frame etc ... then decided to build my own around a Condor frame. Persuaded several colleagues to do London-Brighton with me. Loved it. Even bought a cheap tandem and got my daughter to ride ... various other charity rides followed.
    Ever since then I have loved getting around by bike ... some shopping (Humber still but sometimes a Raleigh RRA I found second hand) or just for leisure. About 12 years ago I developed diabetes so cycling is now one of my control mechanisms for fitness.

I just love being out 'awheel' ... usually alone and going where I want at my speed (av about 17mph if not too windy). I have tried a couple of audaxes but found the regulars a bit 'cliquey' so have not returned.

So, in a nutshell ... I do it because I love it.
    Cheers, Phil
  • For me its the pure escape from daily life. Im on my own, in my own little world for 3-4 hours, being able to think about things clearly. My wife has noticed a huge difference in me with my stress levels decreasing along with my waist size. I get home in the evening after a 12 mile commute and Im relaxed and happy.

I have never ridden off road on an MTB, so I have no comparison, but Im very lucky where I live to have access to limitless routes over various road networks and terrain on my doorstep.

In short, I LOVE IT!!!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the main difference for road and off road for me (also for motorbikes)

Road: hammering round a corner leaning right in and knowing my wheels wont fly out from under me (mistakes aside). Long sweeping bends are just amazing

Off Road: corners are much more tricky and you have to be ready to put your foot down as the ground must be considered unstable, so they're more of an obstacle than a joy.

I like both but in different ways.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14