Replacement for Rock Shox Indy ??

NAG
NAG Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently replaced the Rock Shox Indy S on my Trek 930 (1998 model) with a new pair of Magura forks. Unfortunately I didn't check the dimensions and now have a bike with the front end lifted by approx 25mm. I foolishly threw away the old forks before fitting the new so can't put them back. What I need to know is what is the crown to axle dimension for the old Rock shox Indy S and does anybody make a fork with the same dimension that will match the geometry of the Trek 930 frame. Alternatively does anybody know where I can purchase any Indy series fork ( S,C, XC, SL) from the late nineties.

Comments

• jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    the only place wher i think you will be able to get them forks from is probably ebay, but you will have to keep a look out also you could keep a look out on ebay and freepapers for a late 90s bike with them foks on then scrap the bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Indy S had a travel of 48mm, giving a rough crown to axle height of 435mm. The other Indys were 63mm, and LT versions were 76mm.
  • NAG
    NAG Posts: 3
    supersonic wrote:
    The Indy S had a travel of 48mm, giving a rough crown to axle height of 435mm. The other Indys were 63mm, and LT versions were 76mm.
    Thanks for the info, really helpful. Would you know if the other indy forks had the same crown to axle dimension or does their increased travel change this?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The increased travel does change this. 25mm difference may not be too bad - ride it for a while and see how it feels. Often bikes like this were a little steep anyway and were made for longer forks.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just for info 25mm change in axel to crown height changes the head angle by approx 1 degree. running more sag than normal can help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown