Plymouth & Exeter Bike Shops

as50215
as50215 Posts: 78
edited August 2007 in Workshop
Hi all

I will be visiting Plymouth on Friday and Exeter on Saturday can you recommend any good bike shops and if any have and sales on yet can be both road and mountain bike shops

Thanks in advance
Adam

Comments

• mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    I'm in Exeter and to be honest there aren't any really great bike shops in the city. The best is Richards Bikes in Pinhoe Road. Catch Richard on a good day and he's very knowledgeable and helpful! He has plenty of mid-range kit, but can sometimes be a bit limited with more top-end stuff.

The other half-decent one is The Bike Shed just off the top of Fore Street (pretty much centre of town - Richards is a bit further out). Again with these guys the range of stock is patchy and nothing worth making a special trip for. Any time I go in for clothing they inevitably only have what I want in a size too large.

Hope that helps...enjoy your trip
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Plymouth has Plymouth cycles scene which is OK, and there s a new one in town under the money centre which has alot of street bike stuff (put it into google - can't remember the name)

By far and away the best though is Certini cycles in Saltash - just over the bridge into Cornwall (a real county) its probably no longer to get to than the city centre and has a specialized concept store along side the regular bike shop - Its my personal favourite, i bring my bikes down from london, when visiting 'rents, to have em serviced there

follow the A38 to thye roundabout past the tunnel, take the third exit toward callington then go right towards waitrose but carry straight on - its on your left

no i don't work for them
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    as50215 wrote:
    Hi all

I will be visiting Plymouth on Friday and Exeter on Saturday can you recommend any good bike shops and if any have and sales on yet can be both road and mountain bike shops

It depends what you want....Colin Lewis in Paignton (by the bus station) is ok (Colnagos and kiddie tricycles) and Richards in Exeter, Bike Shed in Exeter is ok too (had a Colnago CF2 mountain bike in there last time I went in there.

What used to be Barrettos in Plymstock is ok too, Pinarellos in there.
    Cogs(under the Money Centre) is crap unless you like chav bikes with saddles a foot off the ground or need some trick lump of purple anodised aluminium for £130.

The best bike shop in the region is probably Bike Chain in Redruth.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    cogs...that was it...have ony bought some grease from there
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver