weird noise from brakes

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
i was just out riding my norco a-line last night just down to the shop, but when i get quite alot of speed the front and possibly back mace a weird noise like its 2 peices of metal hitting together also when i turned corner it made a similar speed, does anyone know what this is? my brakes are hayes nines.
thanks for replies

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    something lose? catching? any pad material left?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Have you got a cycle computer sensor on the fork that's moved & is tapping the wheel sensor as it passes? Don't forget sound tend to echo all round the bike frame....

This one happened with my bike.... Strange tapping/scraping from front.. turned out to be a little coating of mud & grit on the inner part of the disc rubbing the caliper!!! Not the noise I would have expected....
  • jacktheoc
    thanks for replies, i checked it last night and there was 1 allenkey bolt loose on the front so i went round tightend all of them front and back, the pads have alot of life left in them and there is nothing catching, will it make any difference that i had both of them bled about 3 weeks ago, it only happens when i am going fast of taking a fast corner, just sounds like a grinding/rattling noise.
  • Red Panda
    Red Panda Posts: 269
    What hubs are you on? are they set correctly?
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    Flex somewhere allowing disk to rub possibly, Are your QR's done tight?
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!
  • I know exactly the noise you're talking about. I get it on my Hayes El Camino's, I emailed Hayes and they couldn't figure out what it is. Everything is tight, aligned, pads aren't loose.
    I'm going to have another go at sorting them next week and I'll post my results. 8)
    Make sure your pads are far enough apart so the rotor spins freely without touching at all at any point, I managed to sort mine out for a few weeks by doing this then it just started again.
    I'M RATHER PATRIOTIC
  • jacktheoc
    thanks alot for that silver_snake i will have a look at the pads later today :)
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Check the rotors haven't warped. Ive had this problem before but its easy to fix by truing the rotor a bit and a sensible pad adjustment to give good clearance.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • DR650s
    DR650s Posts: 24
    Also worth checking your hubs have no play in them (hold the rim and rock side to side, any knocking is loose hubs), this would allow the brake rotor to move sideways especially when leaning to one side of the bike (cornering).
  • I had a sort of clicking/clunking noise on my front 9, you can either hold on the brake slightly, or just wait for it to go, it shouldn't be anything serious!!!