Wilier Izoard

winkywonky
winkywonky Posts: 228
edited April 2008 in Workshop
Anybody got one? What are they like? Looking at getting something like this or similar price range.

Comments

• You know there's a new shape for 2008? And it's very nice. Take a look at http://www.wilier.it/ Should be arriving in UK bike shops very soon.
  • Thanks for that! I had seen a bit about it, but can't find a review anywhere for the 07 model. I'm going to have a look at one on Friday.
  • Epic Cycles now featuring a Chorus-equipped 2008 Izoard for £2100 - http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/wilier.htm
  • Hi,

I recently bought one of these from my LBS, having previously had a 2007 Chorus Mortirolo. The geometry is the same, so I was expecting soemthing similar, but the Izoard improves upon the Mortirolo in loads of ways.

First off its stiffer side to side, so you really feel more power is going to the rear wheel, and secondly the bike feels a lot surer under foot on descents. It gives you a hell of a lot of confidence to really lean it over.

I bought the one in white and red, and in the flesh its absolutely gorgeous, way better looking than even the lovely pictures on the Wilier site.

As for equipment, mine has Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels, which are very stiff, and aerodynamic too, along with full chorus parts, a Richey pro seat post, Ritchey headset, and Itm stem and bars.

I cant recommend this bike enough, I think you could race on it, or simply just cruise around, train, everything apart from touring unless you had a bag on your back.

Cheers,

Pete
    What is this? A centre for Ants? It would have to be....at least 2 or 3 times this size!
  • Hi

I am interested in the Wilier range of bikes and have been looking at the Mortirolo and Izoard. According to the Wilier catalogue the Izoard has a 3.5 cm longer top tube than the Mortirolo, apart from that the geometry is the same. Spotted Dolphin says that his feels stiffer, I am intereseted in comfort - so could anyone advise?

I have test ridden a few bikes, notably a Scott Addict R2 - too stiff, Scott Speedster S10 - too 'clanky' on the back end (aluminium) and a Specialized Roubaix Expert - very comfortable!

If my primary need is comfort, are the Wilier bikes going to be too stiff? I really like the idea of something Italian and a little more exclusive, but the Specialized was very comfortable.

thanks
  • I have a Evasion mirage ( Team Lampre replice) and fin it is very comfortable to ride as it came from the shop but things like that can be altered by changing to different legnth stems and width handle bars. perhaps the dealer you get your bike from could alter these things for you at no extra cost if you dont find the bike comfortable and it means them making a sale.
  • Thanks Stormtrooper

Maybe I should clarify the comfort issue. For me, the last time I had a road bike it was a 1998 Klein - very stiiff aluminium, which i eventually sold as I could feel everything through the frame. As I got past 30, it got too much for me, especially as I had also injured my back.

Having missed road bikes, I am now hankering after starting again but have been steered towards carbon frames for comfort. The Specialzed Roubaix was suggested several times along with a Scott CR1 - mainly due to the prevalance of Spesh and Scott dealers in my area. I have ridden the Roubaix Expert and a Scott Addict and know that no 2 carbon frames are the same. I have also seen a Viner Magnifica and Wilier Mortirolo but not had the chance to test ride............in other words, I don't know what I neccessarily need, although if I am going to spend £1500 +, I would prefer something a little less mainstream than the Scott / Specialized.
  • Thanks Stormtrooper

Maybe I should clarify the comfort issue. For me, the last time I had a road bike it was a 1998 Klein - very stiiff aluminium, which i eventually sold as I could feel everything through the frame. As I got past 30, it got too much for me, especially as I had also injured my back.

Having missed road bikes, I am now hankering after starting again but have been steered towards carbon frames for comfort. The Specialzed Roubaix was suggested several times along with a Scott CR1 - mainly due to the prevalance of Spesh and Scott dealers in my area. I have ridden the Roubaix Expert and a Scott Addict and know that no 2 carbon frames are the same. I have also seen a Viner Magnifica and Wilier Mortirolo but not had the chance to test ride............in other words, I don't know what I neccessarily need, although if I am going to spend £1500 +, I would prefer something a little less mainstream than the Scott / Specialized.
  • Thanks Stormtrooper

• mdc
    mdc Posts: 1
    I have an Izoard and have found it very comfortable compared to my older Wilier Aple D Huez. I have not ridden the Roubaix so I cannot offer any comparison. I can say that having ridden on rough country roads teh carbon frame is a hell of a lot more comfortable than the alu/carbon frame of my old bike.
    I think the frame geometry between the izoard and mortirolo is the same, the difference is in the construction. The rear stays on the izoard are slightly on convex meanin they should absord more of the road and the down tube/ bottom brack is more substantial. Giving a stiffer frame. Seems contradictory but that is the way understand it. Anyway, I love mine and completely agree with Pete the stormtrooper. Great handling, great acceleration, great looking. I would suggest you get the best components you can to really exploit the quality of the frame.
    Good luck
  • I have just test ridden an Izoard Centaur and Mortirol Veloce at my LBS. I have to say that I was surprised at the difference. The Mortirolo is an excellent bike, very compliant and comfortable but the Izoard is something else. It was tremendously quick out of the block, and the Centaur Carbon cranks and slightly beefier bottom bracket was a lot more noticeable than I was expecting.

Personaly, I didn't find either of them twitchy, but the £500 difference was noticeable so I think I m going to go with an Izoard and push the budget a little more.

A word of warning though, the prices are going up 13% pretty soon due to the Pound Vs Euro.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    A word of warning though, the prices are going up 13% pretty soon due to the Pound Vs Euro.
    Really? Looks like I'll be making the trip to the bike shop regardless of tomorrows weather then. Might not get in a test ride.
  • Just to clarify prices, if you can get a current 'in stock' bike, you should pay the current prices. If you have to order yours in, and ATB sales have not got one (in stock, they are the UK importers), then you will probably get stung with the new prices.

I have just ordered my Izoard, and my LBS honoured the current price.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Just ordered today with Centaur carbon compact and silver Fulcrum 3's.

Should look the dog's proverbials with my white DT's.

Now you come to mention it when I enquired with Epic about a mail order only sale they did say that the Izoard was their biggest seller and excellent value for money, that it was inevitable prices would be going up. This was in early February.