Manitou splice comp forks

DTM12
DTM12 Posts: 163
edited September 2007 in MTB general
I have these forks fitted to my new Trek Fuel 80 as standard, is it just mine or does anyone else find them incredibly harsh over small bumps, by hands after a trail ride feel like I have been riding ridgid forks ! They just dont seem to work over high speed small bumpy fire road type terrain. I used to have some Marzocchi MX comps air on my old Marin and if I remember some years back they did feel much more responsive. So I was thinking of upgrading the Manitous to some MX Pro's (wiggle £130), would I notice the difference ? I dont have much to spend on stuff. It just seems a shame to have to ditch newish forks. But if they are crap then they are crap and will have to go, and at the moment I am not enjoying riding my bike with them on.
I have the compression damping right off and also the Preload is set to minimum. I am 143 lbs (10st 3)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you would notice a big difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DTM12
    DTM12 Posts: 163
    OK, so one vote for the manitous going in the bin ;) Why so bad ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they just are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Platano
    Platano Posts: 77
    I made the same upgrade Splice Comp - MX Pro. The difference is like night and day.
  • acac
    acac Posts: 348
    i got some on my cannondale as std i i think the same dont work well on small stuff i am thinking of getting some fox folks £259.00 at rutland cycles
    play hard ride hard
  • I bought the Trek fuel 80 a year ago and yes the Manitou splice were bollards there is no other word to explain them(well there is :? ).It was the first up grade that i done on the bike and there has been a few now.I bought a set of Rockshock Revelations and the feeling on the bike is night and day now.There are plenty of good forks out there and true some are not cheap but a bit extra money on a piece of kit that in my eyes are vital to mtbing and you will have yourself a cracking xc bike which i have thrashed the red beast around most of the 7stanes and my local trails.(oh i snapped the swing arm a month ago but being Trek they gave me a new one,only problem is that it has to come from America :( )

Happy biking :D
    Ride with a smile.
  • I've got a crappy pair of spanatous (r-sevens) or something on the front of my anthem 2. I actually went out on that bike today and to be honest with you I came back from the ride far from impressed. Maybe I've got used to 100mm travle forks on my klein + scott but the spanatou forks felt absolutely gash! Now I realise why I seldom ride my giant, the old dukes on my crappy trek fell better!
    Rant over!