Orange 5 Options

x-isle
x-isle Posts: 794
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy an Orange 5 and looking at the specs;

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/2007bikes/five-pro.php

I'm trying to justify the different options.

I've already struck off the S, because I think the extra money for the Pro is worth it, but looking at the SE, it doesn't seem to justify the extra cost.

The only thing I would change on the Pro is the fork and upgrade to the RLC which is a £70 upgrade fee.

Do you think I'm getting this right? I just can't see the cost justification to go for the SE?
Craig Rogers

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    So the SE is £550 more than the Pro, yes?

You get SRAM X0 gearing, an upgrade to Float RLC, Thomson stem and post, Fizik Gobi saddle, Hope headset, Easton EA70 bars and a Raceface Deus XC crankset.

To get X0 seperately you would need to spend about £200 extra, £70 upgrade for the RLC, £150 for the performance upgrade pack (stem, bars, saddle), £40 for the Hope headset and about a £100 upgrade on the Deus XC cranks. That totals up to about £560 so the price of the SE seems about right to me.

If you are only interested in the upgrade to the RLC Float (which is a good thing to do IMO), then you only have to pay the extra £70 on top of the Pro's price.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Yep, I know that, but the question is, are all those upgrades really worth the extra?
    Craig Rogers
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Well why don't you just pick and choose the upgrades that you do want?

I'd personally go with a Hope headset and the RLC upgrade. If you want the lightest 5 that you could go for then spend the whole £550 and get the performance upgrade pack, the X0 and the Dues cranks as well. Not worth it IMO.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Get the RLC fork, as I have the R '06 fork & it does suffer with of brake dive.

I bought the S version (all the frames are the same) & upgraded as I needed to.

Now weighs 29lbs.

Full spec & pic here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_b/392933434/
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg