Advice Please

Belfast64
Belfast64 Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello as I've finally agreed to accompany my eldest daughter on bike rides, as she has just learn't to ride, I've bought my first bike for over 20 years and know practically nothing about bikes.

However after a lenghty discussion with the local cycle dealer I opted for a Orbea Sherpa as it would do practically everything and go practically everywhere I would want it to.

Over the past few weeks however I've got back into cycling with daily week day 6 miile outings and one 15+ outing at the weekend. Most of my miles are road miles given the disjointed off road routes available locally however I wouldn't want to switch to a road bike as there are several enjoyable trails that I've found particulary.along the Grand Union Canal.

My question is can I change the gearing easily? At the moment I've got a Shimano Deore 11-32 cassette and triple freewheel that came on the bike. I could however however do with another gear as at times I would like a "28" for downhill sprints home. I've had a look at several cassette suppliers and 11 is the smallest on many so am I right in believing that I will have to change the flywheel. I cannot see much use for the smallest gear on the freewheel as Leicestershire is 'flat' and I havn't used it as yet.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    What sizes are your chainrings (front) normally they are around 44/32/22. 44/11 is a high gear on a mountain bike ie 4 * 26 * Pi development,

btw its a the cluster FREEWHEEL flywheels are on cars
    The front triple is not a FREEWHEEL they are chainrings.

Ride your bike to get used to gears you will find that, unless you intend riding in a peloton in a road race, you have sufficienctly high gears for any occasion.

Get used to spinning your legs at a higher speed (90 rpm to 110 rmp) instead of bogging down in tall gears.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    For maximum speed you need to use the big ring on the front and the small ring on the back,

For maximum climbing then you need the little ring on the front and the big ring on the back

You talk about "downhill sprints" then you say that Leicester is flat and you havent used your smallest cog at the back.
  • Thanks for the advice and the proper terminology Bugly.

I've spoken to my local bike dealer who thinks he may be able to get at 28/38/48 chainring to fit which together with the smallest cog at the back, as rockhopper states, will get me a few more mph and a better workout.

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly about lack of pedal resistance on my down hill sprint in my relatively flat county.

Sorry for any offence caused.