Mavic Crossland Wheels

sam1234
sam1234 Posts: 97
edited August 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a set of Mavic Crossland wheels which I've had about 6 months know. I run them tubless with Contie 2.1 explores.

However recantly I've noticed a couple of small dents on the top of the rim both front and back. However both rims seem to be running true. Having spoken with the LBS were I got them they say this does happen sometimes and is caused by rocks. They also say they can be bent back into shape gently with pliers.

The type of riding I do is XC and I do hand out a fair bit of abuse (i.e hit rock gardens at speed and jump trail obsctacles).

Has any one exprencied this on these wheels or other wheels? and would running fatter tyes help?

Thanks

Sam

Comments

• gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    Yeh i had the same problem with some Mavic XC717's.

I was probably giving them more abuse than they could handle and ended up bending the back rim and couldn't true it any longer.

The rear one however did have the sidewall pressed in but it didn't cause any problems, no air leaks etc.. It was just cosmetic and could be bent back carefully with pliers.

Running fatter tyres may help but inevitably you are gonna ride over a small rock at some point that will push past the tyre wall and dent ya rim.

I've switched to a new bike and now run a tougher XM719 rim which is more suited for me and haven't dented the sidewalls yet!
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Ive dented a few sets of rims in the past, I have the Crossride Disc rims which are very similar. Extremely strong rims even though they dont have lots of spokes. Stay very true and can take alot of abuse, plus they look fantastic. You shouldnt worry about the small dents and you can straighten them out if they bother you.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/