Campag ten speed compatability

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited August 2007 in Workshop
I need a new chain and cassette for my nine speed Veloce setup. Wiggle are doing a 20% discount on orders over £100 at the moment, and I can get these in ten speed plus the shifters for £102.

Would there be any issues in using them with my existing (2006) rear mech, or would I need to upgrade that too?

Ta.

Comments

• I've asked a similar question about upgrading from my 9 speed Mirage and was told the 9 speed rear mech should work fine.

If you're looking to sell the old Veloce shifters, drop me a PM, as I can't stand the plastic ;-)
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    I am not sure if I have understood this thread properly.

Does this mean that I could put a 10 speed cassette on a 9 speed set up? If so surely I will only be able to use 9 of the gears as I only have 9 clicks on my levers and rear mech.

Is this OK and which gear do I end up not being able to use?
  • no, Smokin Joe is talking about using a 10 speed cassette and 10 speed shifters, and just keeping the old 9 speed rear deraileur, which should work out OK, as it only moves acording to how the shifter pulls the cable.

A 10 speed cassette on an otherwise full 9 speed setup is not likely to run very well, as each shift on the 9 speed will move 10/9= 1.11 times as far as it should to fit the sprocket gaps on a 10 speed cassette.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    A 10 speed cassette on an otherwise full 9 speed setup is not likely to run very well, as each shift on the 9 speed will move 10/9= 1.11 times as far as it should to fit the sprocket gaps on a 10 speed cassette.
    I'd be very surprised if you even managed to get,say,8 of the gears to work in alignment using this setup.Splash the cash & do it correctly.You know it makes sense :wink:
    so many cols,so little time!