Bath rides ?

Macberni
Macberni Posts: 4
edited October 2007 in MTB rides
Does anyone know of any good off road rides in the immediate bath area ?

I'm losing the plot here. No point having good MTB's if all i do is commute on them. Anyone up for a commute on a DH bike etc. I think not. I didn't buy to pose.

Thanks if anyone can help.

B

Comments

• Try asking Pete at John's Bikes. VC Walcot was talking about doing MTB rides when I was last there.

You might struggle to find somewhere really suitable for a pure DH bike though. It's years since I did a lot of mountain biking in Bath, but you end up constructing loops out of bridleways, byways, the canal tow-path etc etc. Lots of rolling hills, some quite steep, but not many places I can think of where you can, say drive or walk up a road and ride down a trail.

We used to get the OS maps out and go exploring, but I gather young folk today don't do that any more :)
    John Stevenson
  • you have a point. i should be a little less lazy n just get out there with an OS map. Thanks for the advice. B
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We used to get the OS maps out and go exploring, but I gather young folk today don't do that any more :)

Hold the boat old-timer :!: Some of us still use OS maps! Even if it does mean discovering cow pat covered bridleways and byways that have been dug up by 4x4s.
  • I thought this thread was gonna be about those 'last of the summer wine' blokes riding downhill in a bath :oops:

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • Drop me an email on or add me to msn as i live in Bath jono20004@hotmail.com
    <center>RIP
    My Bike Bristol Freeride</center>
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    M.Coledug up by 4x4s!

I own a 4x4 and find it fun to go up to a mountain and ride down it - you cant do that in a Vauxhall Nova LOL! 4x4's rule and bikes, animals, esp horse make a mess of the countryside oh nd not to forget the motox bikes.!

Anyway I live in the surrounding areas of bath..look at last months mbuk for the trail on pg 14 behind the Bath Spa College. Drop me an email on mtbdean@hotmail.co.uk

also i do own an os map and yes i do explore

Phew.. another rant off :-D
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Have you thought about hopping on the M4 and heading out to Cwm Carn? I've not ridden it as I'm not a DHer but they have a dedicated DH course as well as a great XC route (which I have ridden)...

http://www.mbwales.com/cwm_carn/index.htm
  • jummer
    jummer Posts: 83
    burrington combe near weston super mare is good for rocky downhill descents it just takes a bit of exploring
    jer
  • deanvw
    ive been to burrington coombe
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it any good?
  • deanvw
    yeap its excellent