Mavic Crosstrail Tubeless Rims

gbrnole
gbrnole Posts: 395
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just got some mavic crosstrail rims and about to buy some tubeless tyres but do I need to put some sealant inside the tyre.

I think its obvious i do but the mavic manual says nothing about using a sealant?

If yes, how do i put it in the tyre? Do i put it in before mounting it, im just thinking it could get very messy
Ibis Mojo SL-r

Comments

• gbrnole
    Ok scratch that, i just found this link:

http://www.mbuk.com/grimetimedetails.asp?id=34
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Note you will have to purchase a valve core removal tool, all i do is fit the tire (remember to lube the lip on the tubless rimtape with washing up liquid/water so the tyre goes on smoothly), then use 2 tyre levers and pop a small section of tyre back off the rim (approx 4inches) and hook the tyre levers on the back spokes (opposite side of rim to where you have the tyre levers inserted) then this gives enough room to put your sealant in, and takes about 10 mins to do both wheels..easy peasy lemon squeezy
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    :shock: Crosstrails are TUBELESS rims and require no sealent with TUBELESS tyres, sort of like putting sealent in your car tyres :shock:

No harm if you do but you would have wasted money and made a bit of a mess in your new tubeless wheels.

Bugly
  • gbrnole
    Surely if im not putting sealant in them then the first thorn is going to cause a puncture?

Are the tubeless tyres tougher than regular ones to withstand punctures. Mind you thinking about it I only really got snakebites anyway so the tubeless thing should stop all that.
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    if a thorn goes through a tyre its going through the tube regardless am I wrong?
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bugly wrote:
    :shock: Crosstrails are TUBELESS rims and require no sealent with TUBELESS tyres, sort of like putting sealent in your car tyres :shock:

No harm if you do but you would have wasted money and made a bit of a mess in your new tubeless wheels.

Bugly
    Er
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    edited March 2014
    stu8975 wrote:
    Note you will have to purchase a valve core removal tool, all i do is fit the tire (remember to lube the lip on the tubless rimtape with washing up liquid/water so the tyre goes on smoothly), then use 2 tyre levers and pop a small section of tyre back off the rim (approx 4inches) and hook the tyre levers on the back spokes (opposite side of rim to where you have the tyre levers inserted) then this gives enough room to put your sealant in, and takes about 10 mins to do both wheels..easy peasy lemon squeezy

you don't need to buy a valve removal tool - the crosstrails come with everything you need.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Bugly wrote:

Bugly

I run sealant in my crosstrails with tubeless ready tyres. UST tyres shouldn't need sealant to stay inflated but they will go flat if you get anything penetrating the tyre like a thorn