clamp on downtube shifters

boly
boly Posts: 71
edited August 2007 in Road general
Has anybody got an old set kicking about in the back of the shed? I recently rode a "modern" bike ( post 1960!) with SDI levers and I thnk i'll drag one of my bikes into the 21st century by fitting a pair. Trouble is, I dont have appropriate braze ons for the cabling, so I thought of fitting clamp on downtube shifters, and replacing the levers with cable end boses to allow me to run the SDI cables. There is a little gizmo available at SJS but I'l told its not much good.
Many thanks
Bob

Comments

• Streak
    Streak Posts: 163
    Hi Boly,

I just went to the LBS and got a cheapo d/tube band on double lever set (£5) and ditched the levers, then I bought the adjustable metal (Dura ace?) down tube cable stops and fitted them to the above clamp, problem solved. I got the rest of my gear secondhand from others on the forum, except for buying a new (cheap) set of 9 speed wheels, I had to use a spacer as I had 8 speed Sora levers and cassette.

Streak
    I'm not so twp as to not know I'm twp.
    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/ju ... Patten.htm
  • boly
    Thanks Streak, no joy yet with downtube shifters from LBS' but I live in hope. IT seems SJS sell a little bracket for £4. 99 that does the job too.
  • jbindman
    jbindman Posts: 1,328
    ive got one i think, ill have a look. email me. london n19 or sw9 if you want to collect.
    fgg 1666
  • boly
    Thanks for the offer LB but I finally got some Shimano 600's on E bay for £3.50 the other night. Whether the cable bosses with atch is another matter :)