what s worse.....

2»

Comments

• Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    One of the incidents with driving that sticks in my mind was in sheffield. About midnight, going up Hanover way. entered the exit sliproad to see some drunken prat is picking up speed, heading downhill, wrong way towards me along the slip.

As it happenned there was just enough room for him to somehow slip between the kerb and myself - only clouting my wingmirror.

He then joined the dual carriageway in the wrong direction....

So luckily I'm left with only a trip to the scrappers to replace the mirror.

Could have been tied up with various emergency services, larger repair bills, insurance claims. Not to mention the psychological effects of injuring/killing someone, even if not to blame.

So the assertion that only the cyclist would come off worse... physically maybe. But the inconvenience caused shouldn't just be calculated thro' how many bones broken.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think that's fair! What if you don't have a driving licence?

I doubt that you DON'T know you shouldn't be doing it when you get caught.
    If you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.
    Get a brain, then the cost of a helmet isn't a waste.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    psst. come and join us on www.londonfgss.com. It's much more liberal over there, and no bent mikeys either.
  • Anonymous
    If you are 'speaking' to me, I'll read it for a day or two, then make a move +/-.
    You do know I'm a yankee?
    I have the site bmed.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    bikers46 wrote:
    Get a brain, then the cost of a helmet isn't a waste.

Do you really have to raise the helmet issue? Some of us think that blind wearing of a helmet is just as much a display of ignorance as telling non-helmet wearers they have nothing worth protecting.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...come on let's face it ,cycling while drunk is'nt funny...it's as dangerous and anti-social as drink driving...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • BentMikey
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...come on let's face it ,cycling while drunk is'nt funny...it's as dangerous and anti-social as drink driving...

You're right, except that perhaps it's not quite as dangerous. Still stupid and the wrong thing to do of course.
  • Anonymous
    Do you really have to raise the helmet issue? Some of us think that blind wearing of a helmet is just as much a display of ignorance as telling non-helmet wearers they have nothing worth protecting.

Mikey, I really don't give a rip. I wear safety gear because I can, and it works. I've had a helmet save me more than just once. A low branch at 35 mph on a trail 50 miles from civilization can make one dead and lost forever.
    Whatever works for you is fine with me.
    "Helmet issue." Sheesh.
  • BentMikey
    Yes, but why do you have to raise your helmet beliefs when they don't have anything to do with the topic? Perhaps you're trolling? Generalising, I guess being American explains it - there seem to be few countries with as much faith in helmets and as bad a cycling safety record.
  • Anonymous
    BentMikey wrote:
    Yes, but why do you have to raise your helmet beliefs when they don't have anything to do with the topic? Perhaps you're trolling? Generalising, I guess being American explains it - there seem to be few countries with as much faith in helmets and as bad a cycling safety record.

Relentless, aren't you.
    Through with this thread as well.