Breaking in a saddle

feno46
feno46 Posts: 66
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
How long does it take?. I'v only been on the bike a week, done about 60 miles, sit bones are killing me.

Its a selle Italia xo, bottom of the range I think, Im 'starting to look at other seats now, or should I give it a bit longer?.

Its putting me off but not stopping me . Her indoors recomends arnica gel.
Its how far !!

Comments

• overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    60 miles is a bit long! You should break it in gently. You'll get used to it.
  • dcfcfan
    dcfcfan Posts: 33
    overmars wrote:

I had a saddle that came with my bike and it hurt for the first week. I changed to a saddle that had been designed for maximising blood flow and have had no pain since
  • overmars
    What saddle was that?
  • feno46
    feno46 Posts: 66
    overmars wrote:

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I meant about 6 rides totaling 60miles.
    Its how far !!
  • overmars
    feno46 wrote:
    overmars wrote:

Sorry didn't make myself clear. I meant about 6 rides totaling 60miles.

Ah! It's hard (no pun intended) to judge these things because everyone is different. I think if you're still feeling discomfort after three weeks, get a new saddle.
    But I'm sure you'll get used to it.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    No rules with saddles - as different as everybody's rears.

I had a Selle Italia that came with my Felt F40. It took about 10 rides before it started feeling anywhere more comfortable. Then, it was only good for around 2 hours. (But it was fine before that - and seeing how over summer I use it for sprint triathlon where I'm only on it for 10-20 mins, that's fine).

I've since moved to a fi'zi:k arione which is *heaven*, but really only coz I'm doing longer rides. (OK... so it looks cool too)...
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • You don't break in plastic-hulled saddles[1]; either you adapt to them (if they fit you reasonably well) or you don't.

Whether a saddle fits you or not is entirely personal. I don't get on with most current Selle Italias at all, but really like fizik's Aliante and Gobi. The difference is that the Selle Italias are quite flat and I find saddles with a bit of a dip more comfortable. YMMV

[1] as opposed to leather saddles like Brooks. Almost all modern saddles have plastic hulls.
    John Stevenson
  • jsmithfym
    jsmithfym Posts: 296
    I think if a saddle is right for you it will feel that way from the start.