Muddy Fox bikes, any good?

MuzzD
MuzzD Posts: 12
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I won some vouchers for jjb sports so i decided I want to buy a mtb, the local store only has Muddy Fox bikes, I can't find any review of them online so was wondering if anyone could comment on the two I am considering.

I realise a lot of people will possibly recommend other bikes, but i'm choosing these as that's what the store stocks If these are both rubbish I won't even waste the free money i won, but that will likely mean i won't get a bike right now as i don't have extra spare cash to go to another shop.

I was erring on the side of the first one as i will be doing a mixture of riding and may use it for getting about town as well as a bit of cross country/downhill?

Thanks,

Muddy Fox Quest £395
Frame alloy oversized atb frame. hydroformed down tube at head tube
Forks 26" rst omega T7 alloy suspension fork with disc mount & mini boots. 80mm travel
Headset cane creek alloy semi integrated a-head
Gears shimano deore 27 speed gears with deore shifters
Brakes alloy quad hydraulic front and rear disc brakes
Crank truvativ iso flow
Wheels 26" alloy double wall rims
Tyres ritchey z-max comp 2.1" atb tyres
Sizes 18"/20"
Colour anodised grey

Muddy Fox Kudos £295
Frame full suspension 7005 series alloy linkage frame with adjustable travel 50mm-63mm
Rear Shock kind shock KS260
Forks 26" rst capa T7 alloy suspension fork with disc mount & mini boots. 80mm travel
Headset neco semi integral a-head
Gears shimano alivio 24 speed gears with alivio shifters
Brakes alloy quad hydraulic front and rear disc brakes
Crank suntour alloy xcct102
Wheels 26" alloy double wall rims
Tyres kenda 2.1" tyres
Sizes 18"/20"
Colour silk polished

Comments

• Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Don't even consider a bike with rear suspension at this price range.
  • MuzzD
    sorry, i should also mention that both the prices i mentioned include £100 off as they are in a sale.

Saying that, from what i've read elsewhere even 400 would be too little to spend on a full suspension which is also one of the reasons i was leaning towards the first one listed.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Its seems good on paper, but has done the old trick of speccing parts that MF thinks beginners want to see - 9spd and hydro discs. Dont get me wrong, thats good, but not at the expense of a good fork, and this one is crap. You want to be looking at a damped fork for this money.
  • MuzzD
    cheers for that, i might wait and see if they get anything better in.

and also read up more on forks!