Open Pros

davecooper
davecooper Posts: 290
edited August 2007 in Workshop
Looking at a new Specialized Roubaix in LBS the other day. I noticed they are fitted with 28 hole Mavic Open Pro’s. I was considering Open Pro’s on something like 105 Hubs a while back but had started to gravitate towards something more modern and aerodynamic. However, after seeing these I have changed my mind again, they look very nice. I don’t need aero, just strong, light, standard spokes, reasonably priced and that will look good on a modern bike.
Does anyone know why Specialized have chosen to fly in the face of current the deep rim, low spoke count trend with this bike?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't know why but I have used Open Pro's for years and they are great.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Although they need less spokes because the rim is bigger, deep rimmed wheels are heavy. So these wheels keep the weight down. They ride well and are stiff and brake properly too and aren't as harsh as some deeper rims.

Plus open pros are cheap, Specialized can bulk buy the rims for a very low price.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Give that the Roubaix is a sportive bike, primarily targetted at the 'distance' rider there's no real benefit in fitting heavier, aero wheels. They've probably also been bitten by the lack of support by certain firms for their wheels - by using conventional rims and spokes they don't have the hassle of supporting products that are often obsolete after a year. Try getting 'special' spokes for certain wheels after 3 years and you'll be lucky - Mr Ritchey - are you listening?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Try getting 'special' spokes for certain wheels after 3 years and you'll be lucky - Mr Ritchey - are you listening?

Lionel Ritchey is your wheel builder? Now that's cool.
    What was that line about spokes from his song? - "Hello. Is it DT you're looking for?"

(Fetches coat, exits stage left)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • timbooth
    timbooth Posts: 160
    And there was me thinking his builder was Shane Ritchey - well, he obviously needs the cash and I'd rather he was wheel-building than doing panto!!
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Give that the Roubaix is a sportive bike, primarily targetted at the 'distance' rider there's no real benefit in fitting heavier, aero wheels.

Why not, given they'll save more energy than a couple of hundred grams less weight?
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    double post on open pro's....

can anyone tell me the advantages of ceramic (is this the same as CD ??)

cheers
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    Ceramics are great for winter - very tough and the rims don't wear.

- JimW
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    my wheelbuilder is Ritchey Benaud!

i agree with aracer, there is a good argument for aero on a sportif bike ... but aero clinchers are expensive (cosmic carbone etc), and these open pros as Kleber says will be cheap for Spesh.

good choice for actually doing paris-roubaix as well!!
  • aracer
    aero clinchers are expensive

Compared to the Open Pros, yes, which is presumably why they are specced on such a relatively cheap bike. Though if you're prepared to buck the Mavic trend, for the price of non-aero Ksyrium Equipes you can get Easton Vistas which are both aero and lighter than those!
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    aracer wrote:
    aero clinchers are expensive

Compared to the Open Pros, yes, which is presumably why they are specced on such a relatively cheap bike. Though if you're prepared to buck the Mavic trend, for the price of non-aero Ksyrium Equipes you can get Easton Vistas which are both aero and lighter than those!

the new deep section shimano clinchers will, depending on pricing, be a revelation I suspect.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I have Open Pro rims built around Ultegra hubs and find them to be excellent performers. My frame is a Roubaix Pro and I would recommend the combination.
  • aracer
    Gussio wrote:
    I have Open Pro rims built around Ultegra hubs and find them to be excellent performers.

(actually now I think of it, so do I - and they're still going strong after 9 years!)
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    grazer wrote:
    ..ceramic (is this the same as CD ??)
    cheers

No, CD isn't the same as Ceramic. CD rims are hard anodized in a nice dark grey (both the rim itself and the braking surface), whilst with Ceramic rims the rim itself is painted and the braking surface has a ceramic coating.

The CD coating of the braking surface has no real advantages whilst the ceramic braking surfaces last for many thousands of miles even in wet, gritty weather.