My first century (in km's anyway!!)

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Managed my 1st 62 miler yesterday with a mate and what a learning experience it was.

He managed to puncture, which we repaired, until we set off again when it went pop again. Thought sod this and put my spare tube in. That was fine until I took the pump off the valve when it went down very rapidly: the valve was faulty !!!

We managed to fix the original puncture and finish off 62 miles in 4hrs and 1min.

Next time, I'll be taking 2 tubes and so will he.....there's nothing worse than being 25 miles from home and not knowing where you are in this situation !!

You don't think it will happen to you, but it will........

Another thing: make sure your tyre levers work on your tyres/rims before you need them. We had a bitch of a time getting his tyres off because I had crappy Halfords levers. Had to use a screwdriver in the end, at the expense of his rims.

Comments

• TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Great stuff on the first metric century. Shame about the p******e situation!
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Congrats on the ride, that's a long way. Puntures, grrr, you can't be too prepared, glad you made it home. First time I went out with a co2 inflator I hit a pothole and punctured, only to discover that the valves were too long for the inflator to work properly. Not happy. I've put an Armadillo on the back now and not punctured with it so far.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Screwdriver on the rims! Arrgggghhhhhh! :(

Well done tho. I really like it when you get to the point that 75km is just an 'easy spin'.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Fortunately he had orderded some new wheels, so wasn't too bothered.

And I was well impressed with my Topeak Pocket Rocket pump. I would highly recommend one of these if you are in the market for a new pump.
  • Well done on the metric - I missed out by a couple of miles on bank holiday Monday when I did a 60 miler in 3:50 covering a couple of great climbs - Silkstone to Hoylandswaine (nasty 10% kick at the top) and Huddersfield to Lepton/Flockton with the later being a lovely long ascent...with the payback being the long fast drop into Wakefield! Next week...65 miles!
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    You know I think most people must cycle at the same pace more or less...I did a 63 miler in 4 hours on monday as well. Ascending 4.500 feet over the route too which I didnt think was too shabby.
    It seems no matter where I go around North yorkshire I get big hills and my pace always ends up 14.7 - 15.5 mph average, and like I say it seems to be an average average as it were of a lot of riders!
    Got an 85 miler planned this saturday ...Harrogate - Greenhow -Grassington - Kilnsey - Buckden - Leyburn - Ripon - Harrogate....I shall be aiming for a 15 mph average!!
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Well done on the metric - I missed out by a couple of miles on bank holiday Monday when I did a 60 miler in 3:50 covering a couple of great climbs - Silkstone to Hoylandswaine (nasty 10% kick at the top) and Huddersfield to Lepton/Flockton with the later being a lovely long ascent...with the payback being the long fast drop into Wakefield! Next week...65 miles!

Yes that ascent is a regular for me too. Hope from Hoylandswaine you tried the roads past the windmills above Ingbirchworth - now thats a lovely route over towards Huddersfield.
  • Yea well done on your century! I too just missed out on one last weekend but couldn't bring myself to do a few more miles once I'd reached home!

I also agree totally with Chris5150. No matter where I go or try different hills, 15mph seems to be the middle of my average so I know what you mean. I have talked to people who initially say they average 20mph even on hills etc. But when you dig a little deeper i.e. they have lots more stops than you, walk up some hills, do a shorter route etc they would be back down on the 15mph range.

I do think it is easy though to slip into the 'what's your average' conversation (I have fallen foul of this!). It's about the miles you do more than your average, but even more than miles is the enjoyment of being out and about and setting your personal targets and meeting them.

Joe
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    Indeed Joe, averages dont mean that much if your not comparing on the same terrain. I could quite happily do the same distance on flat(ish) land and easily avg 20 mph +. I would much rather do it around here though where one minute your at 200 ft facing a climb to 1300, back down to 400, back upto 900 etc etc, much more fun and Im sure it builds better strength.
    I take more notice of the weeks miles in total, and if I can crack 150 or so then I give myself a pat on the back!!. Actually managed 621 miles in August which I am chuffed with as it works out at nearly 20 miles every day on average, and as I work full time & do not cycle to work or anything, thats a pretty big number to do on the evenings and weekends, well for me it is anyway....bet most of them where at 15 mph aveg too!!
    Like you say though the real pleaure is just getting out and doing it....I am dreading the winter months now as I seem to have enjoyed my cycling this year more so than ever before...
  • Yeah I get that a lot. On the flat sections or slight downhills of course you are faster and your average will shoot up. And, as you say, unless you can compare the exact same route then there is no point at all!

I sooooooo much prefer the hills. It is a real challenge to do some hills and a great personal goal and I totally agree with the strength argument. Last summer (as I had only just got into cycling) I did more flat training - mainly to boost confidence and ego etc. But doing the hill climbs like you describe, I feel I have got a better all-round strength - which massively benefits the flatter areas.

621 miles is a great total! And I agree with the 150miles per week argument....that really does deserve a beer! The thing that makes me wonder is on some days I feel like I have really struggled or on another feel like I am very confortable and do it all again: but lo and behold, around the 15.2mph mark!!!

Winter will have the same effect on me! I really don't mind if it is freezing...but the rain really can get to me!!

Well done on everyone's cycling and just rememberit is not about what anyone else says, it is about a personal goal with personal bests!
  • Well done Chris5150 - I've also completed 600 miles for August but I have the advantage of riding a 20 mile round trip to/from work (nearly) every day (though this invariably turns into a 20-30 mile return leg when the sun's on your back!) and I don't think that I could possibly manage 600 miles otherwise so hat's off to you!

I also agree that you can only make comparisons with yourself and even then it's difficult as fitness levels change, weather has it's own mental effect on your perceived effort/enjoyment etc.

I'd set myself a personal target of 1500 miles for the year and having got there the g/f has now upped it to 2750...how kind!
  • Re. the puncture. I always carry a tin of tyre weld. It saves the hassle of fixing tubes.
  • Zain
    Zain Posts: 80
    Well done!

I'm planning a 60 miler this weekend and just wanted to know what kinda of stuff to pack.

Short list; 1 inner tube, pump, puncture repair kit, 2 fitted water bottles, mini multi tool kit, warm long sleeve top (just in-case of injury etc) mobile phone, £30 or so, couple of bananas and a couple of flap jacks all in m berghaus ruck sack :lol:

Going Solo at my own pace :wink:

Let me know if there's anything I've over looked, Cheers
  • I ride longer distances with 1 x 800 bottle of water and another of PSP and carry a pre-measured amount of PSP into a food bag tuck into my jersey/seat bag and make up when necessary with bought bottled water en-route.
  • Zain
    Zain Posts: 80
    I ride longer distances with 1 x 800 bottle of water and another of PSP and carry a pre-measured amount of PSP into a food bag tuck into my jersey/seat bag and make up when necessary with bought bottled water en-route.

Excuse my ignorance but what's PSP? I don't thin my son would be too happy if I borrowed his Sony PSP lol
  • Soz - PSP=PSP22 which is a carb based energy drink from SIS