allrounder

marc123
marc123 Posts: 20
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
I know you've probably had this question a million times but i'm new to this so bear with me please :lol: I am looking at buying a new bike and was considering buying a giant trance 3 which i have seen for £699 now i need a bike which will be at home riding down a canal tow path as well as tearing down a decent hill off road do you think this bike will fit this criteria or would you recommend another,also will it be a problem riding a full suss bike like this as opposed to a hardtail as i have been led to believe full suss bike's move too much when riding on the flat so hurting your back and making the ride more difficult.thank's all for the advice. :?

Comments

• Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    buying a cheap FS bike like that is probably a bad idea, go with a hardtail and learn the basics first , plus you will get much better spec on a hardtail than a HS at that price.

Wiggle have some good discounts on their Focus line of bikes. The one for £559 i think it was is very well specced,

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... ike%202007

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Trance 3 is pretty good for that money though - good frame, Tora fork, Avid Juicy 3 - but its one you need go and see before you buy, as with any bike. A hardtail would be lighter.
  • marc123
    marc123 Posts: 20
    thanks for the advice,so what good hardtail bike would you recommend with full speck also what make bikes would you suggest i look at.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Genesis Altitude, GT Avalanche Expert, GT Aggressor XCR, Trek 6500, Specialized Rockhopper Disc
  • russjm
    russjm Posts: 31
    supersonic wrote:
    Genesis Altitude, GT Avalanche Expert, GT Aggressor XCR, Trek 6500, Specialized Rockhopper Disc

What he said. The Rockhopper is smart, and I have a Trek 6000 which I love too, and is well under your budget. For an all round bike a full suss bike would be overkill to me, I'd definately go hardtail, and the above suggestions are as good as any.
    "It's not about the bike, it's about what you do with it"