Road saddles

dave_s
dave_s Posts: 4,362
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
I'm looking for a lightish road saddle which is very comfortable on long rides (60miles +)
Currently I've got a Specialized Avatar Gel saddle but I think I bought the one which is too narrow for me really at 130mm.

Any recommendations for comfy all-day saddles.
Weight isn't really a huge issue but I'm used to riding MTBs with a WTB Pwer V DH saddle on which is very comfy but would be out of place ond quite heavy on my racer.

I had looked at some Selle Italia XO saddles online but I'm not sure if these are comfortable or not.
Dave S

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    fi'zi:k Arione.

Just an awesome piece of Italian goodness.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Looks superb, might see if I can test one out because at around £75 for the cheapest model it's too expensive to get wrong.
    Dave S
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    [cough, cough] eBay [cough]
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    dave_s wrote:
    Currently I've got a Specialized Avatar Gel saddle but I think I bought the one which is too narrow for me really at 130mm.

Arione's are quite narrow at the back end as well, the Aliante might be worth a look if the Arione doesn't suit, even pricier though. My fave all day saddle is an ancient Turbomatic 2, not made any more but the similarly shaped Rolls saddles are.
  • Both PlanetX and Outland do a saddle that is the same shape as an Arione for about £20. I have the PX one and it is very comfortable, I would only swap it for the real thing. I don't think it does the wingflex thing but the shape seems to be a big factor in comfort so its possible to try out the shape cheaply with either of those.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try a few types if possible - the Arione initially feels a bit firm, but because of the large saddle are, distributes the pressure pretty well. The Aliante is a nice saddle, but offers only one, very comfortable position. The XO is pretty basic in comparison. If you want something a bit broader, then the aforementioned Rolls, a Turbomatic or a Prolink might fit your bill.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've got an Arione on the Colnago, but I'm not convinced it's really worth all the cash. Most of my other bikes have the trusty old San Marco Rolls classic, and they're fine - even on century rides. OK the Rolls isn't a real lightweight, but if it was good enough for Mario Cipollini, it's good enough for me, and it won't break the bank.

Best bet is to find a good bike shop where they let you hire out saddles for a road test. Like helmets, saddles are a very personal thing. Good luck.
  • At the risk of sounding old fashioned - try Brookes leather saddles, they mould to your shape and are very comfortable. Honest!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Brooks Team Pro. Who cares about the weight of saddles anyway?
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Spec Toupe - the best I have used.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I have a San Marco Regal and have just ordered another for a 2nd bike. It has a real leather cover which I like as it soaks up sweat and is only about £30.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • Have Fizik Arione's on me road bikes, really pleased with their comfort, bought a timetrialbike from Planet X recently, their Arione look-a-like fitted, comfort seems fine albeit I'm only riding it for shorter distances
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Selle Italia SLK Gel Flo

Selle Italia SLK Ti

Selle Italia Thoork - haven't got one (yet) but it looks good :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I commute 100 miles a week and was suffering from pins and needles in the twig and berries!!! :roll:

I'm now on my 4th saddle in 9 months, but I think at last I've got a comfy one.

It's a Selle SMP Strike TRK and I got it of Ebay for about £18.

Not sure how much it weighs etc but I highly recommend it for comfort, plus I'm 6'1"
    and 18 stone so I think its proved to be quite strong!!

Regards

Stu
  • dave_s wrote:
    I'm looking for a lightish road saddle which is very comfortable on long rides (60miles +)
    Any recommendations for comfy all-day saddles.
    Weight isn't really a huge issue but I'm used to riding MTBs with a WTB Pwer V DH saddle on which is very comfy but would be out of place ond quite heavy on my racer.

I had looked at some Selle Italia XO saddles online but I'm not sure if these are comfortable or not.

so why not buy one that is the correct width. This makes a HUGE difference to comfort. You should have used the spesh "test" seat to establish the width of the seat bones, and then bought the correct width, which your LBS can do. Saddles are highly personal, I'm afraid (from experience) that no advice helps, other than find an LBS who will let you try before you buy, otherwise you'll spend a fair wad looking for the right one.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I used the "assometer" in the shop, the shop guys told me that 90% of people need the 143 (i.e. middle sized) Avatar/Alias saddles. I'm happy with mine.
  • I have the 143 width and it's very comfy - when I first sat on it I thought it would be a nightmare, I was used to MTB saddles but on the road now it's great.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • Stuww wrote:
    I commute 100 miles a week and was suffering from pins and needles in the twig and berries!!! :roll:

I'm now on my 4th saddle in 9 months, but I think at last I've got a comfy one.

It's a Selle SMP Strike TRK and I got it of Ebay for about £18.

Not sure how much it weighs etc but I highly recommend it for comfort, plus I'm 6'1"
    and 18 stone so I think its proved to be quite strong!!

Regards

Stu

I too changed my saddle today from a selle Italia xo for a Selle Strike TRK and it seems to be the one.

Nice gap right down the middle for you know what and the nose droops so you can get in the drops comfortably and also you dont catch your shorts on the nose.

Pete.
    Its how far !!
  • baudman wrote:
    [cough, cough] eBay [cough]
    i got my fizik arione for £30.