Shimano chain on Campag drive train?

GeorgeShaw
GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
My chain was replaced at my last service by my LBS a few weeks ago. I've just been doing a bit of maintenance and I've just noticed that they've changed the chain from SRAM (with Powerlink) to Shimano - I hadn't thought to check before now. Now my bike has a 9-speed Campag drive train. So a couple of questions:

1. Is the Shimano chain compatible with a Campag drive train? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I'd just like to make sure.

2. The Shimano chain doesn't have a Powerlink, although I can identify one link which looks different from the others. So what is the usual way to split the chain, and how would I maintain it if I have problems when out on a ride. I have a chain splitter on my multi-tool, and a few spare Powerlinks, which was all I needed before. For example, can I use the Powerlinks with Shimano, or do I need an alternative?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The chain is compatible, but as you've noticed it doesn't come with a Powerlink - Shimano come with a joining-pin. Everytime you break the chain, you need to insert a new pin. Best option is to buy a Powerlink and fit it when you get the chance, which will work no problem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Thanks Monty Dog.