Forks with remote lock down to reduced height and travel

stretchneck
stretchneck Posts: 12
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Looking for a new fork which can be dropped down under the riders weight, from a typical 100-120mm, to say 30mm to lower the front end of my hardtail for dealing with really sharp inclines.

Marzocchi seem to be the only company providing this using their ETA system. Are there any other choices? is the TST system the same thing?

My reason for looking at this is that my front end to too high and loses traction on the uphill sections when seated due to not having enough weight on the front (my existing fork when fully extended is 44m long and doesn't preload at all when climbing, I'll like to fork height to be maybe 5 cm less for the climbs).

Cheers.

Comments

• Ciaran500
    Ciaran500 Posts: 348
    Rockshox have a U-turn system that lets you shorten their travel from 130mm to 85mm. What is your budget?
  • Cheers for the response - I'm aiming for about £300, but the lock down has to be remote so that I can push the forks down on the fly - does the U-turn system do this?
  • BikerDan
    BikerDan Posts: 188
    No, U-Turn does not do this, it has a dial at the top of the left hand leg, but its easily reached. i agree that having a remote at the handle bar is easier 'on the fly' but if you slow down, you could easily reach the dial. :D
    Learn on a Hardtail or be crap forever!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Isnt the Pace Launch control similar to ETA?
  • It's similar to Rock Shox U-turn - again you have to stop and reach down to the forks to lock them in the lower position.

Any other ideas out there? Failing this I'm wondering if getting a new bike might be a good bet with the geometry I'm after! Any excuse!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looking at your original post, you will have to compromise somewhere on geometry. A bike that low will be really nervous on flat ground, and no fork has a crown-axle length of 39cm - rigids are usually 420mm.

I thought the Pace was an instant lockdown once the button was pressed (and the fork depressed?)
  • Yes, your right - the RC39XC Suspension Fork does have the feature, it looks to be about the right height as well. The problem is, as with most of the other fork manufacturers, that the information is all hidden away on their website and you have to dig about to find it.

No sign of how far you you can compress the travel. Looks like an email to Pace is required.

WhatMB's bike of the year, GT i-Drive 5 2.0, has a Marzocchi XC 600 SL specified which should allow the ETA Remote Control to be fitted. A bionicon is another option, but a bit extravagent and unknown for me.
  • Why not get a Reba U-Turn
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Why not get a Reba U-Turn

because it does not have what he wants.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Once again thanks for the advice - just bought a pair of Marzocchi XC 600's and slapping a pair of Panracer Trailraker tyres on.

Will hopefully post up an image the the beast once it's fitted.