Racing on open public roads

2»

Comments

• PhilBixby
    PhilBixby Posts: 697
    "I also feel this is no different from a car driver shouting out of the window telling a cyclist they shouldn't be on the road."

But it IS different:- the two fellas had every right to be on the road, but no right to be in the race. Their behaviour should have acknowledged that, but didn't. That's why they got sworn at.

Phil B
    Clifton CC York
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    No matter how experienced you are, there is always the tiny chance that if your bike fails, you crash or even if a waterbottle gets bumped out of its cage onto the road it can cause injury or affect the result.

Riders in the race have collectively agreed to assume these risks with each other and they have some personal liability insurance too, so any strangers shouldn't be there.

Perhaps the rider in the bunch should not have sweared but in a race, people don't have time or the breath to indulge in polite conversation, you need to be blunt and forceful.

Besides, it only takes 15 seconds to pull over and let the bunch go past.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I think a pump in the spokes of rear wheel would have done the trick :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pity to see the animosity between road riders and mountain bikers on the singletrack forum. I've raced both and enjoyed them for different reasons.

Imagine if a roadie joined in with a mountain bike race as he was in the forest already ? He'd get short shrift from the racers too. Its all about consideration for others.
  • Moray Gub wrote:

Well first off i wouldnt have done what they did , I havent done any races and if that is the kind of attitude in them then im not sure i really want too to be honest.But i have ridden in big groups in sportives and audaxes and cant really see why another two riders in the group is a disaster waiting to happen and you say innaproriate bikes they were able to hold the pace so how were the bikes innapropriate other than they werent the latest all carbon dura ace ? Strikes me the roadies were just a wee bit sensitive...........at the end of the day the two guys whether you like it or not were more than entitled to do what they did , i dont think violence is the answer just because a few roadies get all het up about who should be on the road and who shouldnt.

cheers
    MG

Hi folks.

'nuff said - those who race will understand why it was dangerous to let the two uninsured riders on inappropriate bikes continue within the race.

By inappropriate bikes, I mean bikes that the commissares would not have allowed to start the race on safety grounds. Nothing elitist, just common sense.

The only genuine complaint might be over the language used - perhaps next time a cry of "cor blimey old chap, would you mind awfully?" would be more appropriate?

Cheers, Andy

ps I'm not sure about the roadie/mountain biker animosity. Personally I've raced road, time trial, cross, triathlon, grass track and mtb in the last year and it's all just people on bikes. Some of them are nice genuine guys and girls, some of them are w*****s - just like anywhere else. What kind of bike they riders matters not!
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    I've heard some ripe old language at mtb races when "externals" to the race have got on the track and equally to people walking across park footie pitches etc when the game is in full play. Essentially if you aren't there to take part then stay out of the way and spectate, or go elsewhere.

Have to admit I'm well impressed with their physical prowess in keeping up with an over 50's bunch, wow, like awesome dudes! Quick sign them up for the Olympics. FFS I hope they are suitably embarrassed.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I think a pump in the spokes of rear wheel would have done the trick :D

Thats a bit unfair isnt it after all how would they finish their race ? A lot of these people think they are budding Alberto Contadors so the best thing to do here would have been to tuck into the pack drag them up the Dukes pass out of Aberfoyle , dance on the pedals as you drop them all and show them up as budding Alberto Tatlocks instead !!!!

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    eh wrote:
    I've heard some ripe old language at mtb races when "externals" to the race have got on the track and equally to people walking across park footie pitches etc when the game is in full play. Essentially if you aren't there to take part then stay out of the way and spectate, or go elsewhere.

But they were cycling on the road as they are well entitled to do, as another poster pointed out why should anybody slow down or change direction just because a bunch of roadies are racing on the public highway.

cheers
    MG
  • PhilBixby
    PhilBixby Posts: 697
    "But they were cycling on the road as they are well entitled to do, as another poster pointed out why should anybody slow down or change direction just because a bunch of roadies are racing on the public highway"

Courtesy? No? Okay, common sense? Bit of "give and take"? Otherwise all you're left with is the attitude of the t**t who drives past yelling "you should be in single file" out of the car window. Come on, for heaven's sake!

And another thing.. ..don't know how many vets racers you base your comment in the previous post on, MG, but most of the vets I know (and I know quite a few; I'm a vets racer meself) are pretty sensible people - you don't get to still be racing in your 40's/50's/60's if you're hopeless on two wheels. I just hope your legs are still going around as fast as theirs when you get within a shout of bus-pass age!

Phil B
    Clifton CC York
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Cricket, football etc. pitches are often on common land but I bet you wouldn't just happen to walk through the middle of their game because you walk there every other day or would you?

Sheesh no wonder this country has failed to produce many top class cyclists, if people aren't willing to accept a RR may mean they briefly wait and then get home 1 minute later than normal.
  • cougie
    Moray - I am confused here - this smacks of the attitude of motorists who cant stand to share the road with bikes, pedestrians, horses etc...?

The guys were meant to be experienced racers. As such - they should know not to mess around with other peoples races. In the same way that I would pull off a mountain track if a MTB race was on. I'd also move out of the way if a running race was on. Its no big deal.

Its common courtesy and consideration for others. Just because you 'can' do something, doesnt mean that you have to do it.
  • Moray Gub wrote:

But they were cycling on the road as they are well entitled to do, as another poster pointed out why should anybody slow down or change direction just because a bunch of roadies are racing on the public highway.

cheers
    MG

Hi there.

Here's a point that's been overlooked:

If the race overtook the two lone riders, then they must have SPED UP to join in the pack. If they'd just carried on at the same speed, then there would have been no problem.

Cheers, Andy

ps No sweary-words word were harmed in the production of this post.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    It was a race not a chain gang jolly, there is enough to deal with in a race without two numptys getting in the way.
    Mañana
  • moray_gub
    cougie wrote:
    Moray - I am confused here - this smacks of the attitude of motorists who cant stand to share the road with bikes, pedestrians, horses etc...?

Yea youre right who do these people think they are, there are other cyclist going about other than road racers you know.

cheers
    MG
  • moray_gub
    PhilBixby wrote:
    "
    Courtesy? No? Okay, common sense? Bit of "give and take"? Otherwise all you're left with is the attitude of the t**t who drives past yelling "you should be in single file" out of the car window. Come on, for heaven's sake!
    And another thing.. ..don't know how many vets racers you base your comment in the previous post on, MG, but most of the vets I know (and I know quite a few; I'm a vets racer meself) are pretty sensible people - you don't get to still be racing in your 40's/50's/60's if you're hopeless on two wheels. I just hope your legs are still going around as fast as theirs when you get within a shout of bus-pass age!

Phil B
    Clifton CC York

and what makes you think i am not their age just now then ?

cheeres
    MG
  • moray_gub
    eh wrote:
    Cricket, football etc. pitches are often on common land but I bet you wouldn't just happen to walk through the middle of their game because you walk there every other day or would you?

Sheesh no wonder this country has failed to produce many top class cyclists, if people aren't willing to accept a RR may mean they briefly wait and then get home 1 minute later than normal.

Get a grip ffs, imagine putting that as a reason for our failure to produce many top class cyclists.............. jings crivvens help ma boab !!!!!!

cheers
    MG
  • cougie
    Moray Gub wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Yea youre right who do these people think they are, there are other cyclist going about other than road racers you know.

cheers
    MG

FFS - in the next post you're complaining about the lack of quality British cyclists - now you're saying that road racers shouldn't have a problem about idiots jumping into their races. Is a moped rider ok to tag along too ?

And I think you'll find team GB is just about the best in the track cycling world. But I guess if you had it your way - they'd have to share their velodrome time with any dick on a bike.
  • moray_gub
    cougie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    cougie wrote:

cheers
    MG

FFS - in the next post you're complaining about the lack of quality British cyclists - now you're saying that road racers shouldn't have a problem about idiots jumping into their races. Is a moped rider ok to tag along too ?

And I think you'll find team GB is just about the best in the track cycling world. But I guess if you had it your way - they'd have to share their velodrome time with any dick on a bike.

FFS cant you effin read the thread properly it was the poster called ''eh'' that was complaining about that i was responding to his claims for the reasons for that being the case. Rearrange this into a well know phrase.............not try jump with both to in feet time next...... As for Top class cyclists on the track sure they are at what they do but really who gives a monkeys about track cycling, most cycling fans i know of dont give a rats ar*e about it. The road is where it happens bud the track is but a sideshow . As for having it my way all i ask is to be able to ride on the road without being brushed aside by a bunch of wannabee TDF riders.

cheers
    MG
  • cougie
    Yeah right - none of my mates were talking about the hour record when obree and boardman were battling at it. Or Queally getting gold, or Wiggins getting his brace of medals.

Do you think that in France anything else would have happened ? These clowns accelerated to keep up with the bunch. If they were just riding home - they would have been passed and there would have been no incident -but no - these 'experienced racers' joined in with the bunch and were upset when they were told to f off. I hope they arent suffering still.

If it were you - would you have jumped into the bunch - because thats the choice. Those riders made the mistake - the racers would otherwise have ignored them.
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    Moray Gub wrote:
    So far i've seen this thread on here, Braveheart, SIngletrack and apparently it's on veloriders too. So someone told them to f**k off? What a shame, personally I think they got off lightly...

So what you have done then ? done them in or something or beat them up ? With your got off lightly comment i think you need to get a sense of perspective here about cyclists riding on a public road.

cheers
    MG

Having a couple of uninsured riders on inappropriate bikes for bunched racing is a disaster waiting to happen.

this would be my main reason for getting out of the way. why risk it? also, these guys have paid money to enter the race. it's essentially their domain. even if one felt they weren't interferring in the race, well, clearly they were as someone noticed them.

i personally think it's bad form and quite wreckelss.
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I am amazed anyone is trying to defend these clowns who jumped into the race. Their actions were totally out of order. in races we do pass other folk on bikes on the public road. Word is passed down the bunch that there's a rider on the left and there is never any hassle. Someone trying to jump onto the back of a race is just being a penis.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It only takes 15 seconds to pull over and wait for the bunch to pass. You might be inconvenienced but it's for the pleasure and safety of perhaps 80 fellow riders.
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    :o Probably the best thing for all concerned, would have been to pull to the side, dismount, then hurl jocular insults at the slow-moving over 50's bunch. You wouldn't get a retort as the would be too out of breath!
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    girofan wrote:
    :o Probably the best thing for all concerned, would have been to pull to the side, dismount, then hurl jocular insults at the slow-moving over 50's bunch. You wouldn't get a retort as the would be too out of breath!

I'm 64 years old.
    Do you fancy a little race sonny boy?
    Lets say 40 miles ,or longer if you think you could manage it..
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    girofan wrote:

You are as big a numpty as the two clowns who disrupted the race. As a roadie myself (though not yet a vet) I think you'd find the vets road scene to be pretty strong, they are on the whole fit guys.

Any 'experienced' racer would not just join in with the bunch of an event they were not entered in, what if they caused an accident and ruined the race.

Numpties!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    LangerDan wrote:
    No. No more than you should jump into the middle of a marathon while out for a jog or join in with a car race just because you are out for a spin in your car. As someone on STW pointed out , they wouldn't like it is someone jumped into an MTB race.

The only one there that is comparable is some sort of running event taking place on an open road, and if you were out for a jog and just happened to get caught in a big group?

And if the road was open and not a rolling road block shouldn't they have been riding no more than 2 abreast?

Jumping into the bunch though?
    It's not like they didn't know it was a race.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Just because a race is on a public road, does not chnage the fact it is a race run under strict regulations. If you havent paid and signed the correct entry form then you should not be permitted to take part, any more than I can try and battle with Lewis Hamilton in my family saloon. The fact that a RR is held on public (and open) roads means that there is always the riskk that other road users get caught up in the group (who are allowed to ride more than two abreast in a properly controlled event). Courtesy and basic common sense would make most people move out of the way at the soonest chance. An absence of either demands oldwelshys or Andrews solution. And to post it here just smacks of troll.