What wheels do you folks recommend for rough XC use?

Noodoo
Noodoo Posts: 214
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
I started out on that 57km Charity Ride yesterday, got no more than 100meters and the rear wheel spindle snapped in two.
I was litterally accellerating on flat road, so it had obviously already been damaged and was just waiting to crack through the axle.

anyway. quite clearly, the wheels can't take the abuse that i'm giving them. so the question is:

Which wheels should I buy?

I don't know how much I need to spend, but here's the spec.

Hardtail.
XC riding (not just singletrack, but drops, jumps and fast, loose rocky stuff)
I weigh in at about 12 stone with all my camping gear on....

I've seen those Halo SAS:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12390

and some Atom Lab Trail Pimps:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5093

These look like they'll be up to the job, but to be honest, I don't really know what i'm looking at, so a bit of advice would be handy.

I was told that cartridge bearings are the ones to go for... do these require maintenence or are they fit and forget (replacing the cartridge when they're knackered)...

....help....

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.

Comments

• Scubar
    Scubar Posts: 453
    Mavic 719 rims on XT hubs will be more than enough for rough XC, Ive got a set of Mavic Crossride Disc rims that dont cost alot and can take a real beating they also look fantastic.

Ive hammered mine down hills and they are still holding true, had them trued a few weeks after i got them so they had bed in properly and since then have ran like a dream.

My Marin Hawkhill 2007 - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1382583/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    i think the wheels you list will be total overkill, they are more for Dh and extreme freeride use. I agree with the above, XT on 719 sounds about right - mid weight, and when built by a good builder las ages. They run cup and cone bearings, but they generally last longer than cartridge bearings anyway, and certainly can take more load.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Agree with the comments on hubs, above: cup and cone hubs will be much more durable than those using cartridge bearings. Shimano XT are excellent, with the additional benefit that axles, cones and so on - in fact everything other than the fixed cups in the hubs - are replaceable. Cartridge bearings are easy to make hubs around - hence their popularity, but are not ideal by any means. If the load bearing issues don't sway your choice, know that the quick release levers put a LOT of compressive force on bearings, which with cup-and-cone designs can be adjusted for, with cartridge designs probably not.
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    Thanks folks.

Armed with this info, I'll call in to Leisure Lakes Bikes in Bury and see what they have.

Cheers.

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.