I need a new bike

smeggy
smeggy Posts: 5
edited August 2007 in MTB buying advice
My Kona was nicked a while ago. It was an old Hahanna but I had upgraded various parts of it. The thing I liked best were the rather awesome parallel push XT-V brakes. Anyway, that’s gone so I need a new ride. I was looking to spend £400 but I’ll go up to £500 for something disproportionately better.

I want an MTB with good Hydraulic brakes.
I’m not fussed between a hard-tail or a full-bouncer.
I need a 16-17 incher.

I won a fairly good condition Carrera Kracken on an auction via ebay, upgraded with Deore hydraulic brakes (still with the Tektro rotors). I went to pick it up only to find the brakes were absolute sh*te; four fingers pulling hard and I still couldn’t pull an endo. The only thing powerful about it was the noise – what a squeal! I convinced the seller it was crap and I walked away.

Anyway, that put me off second hand bikes. I’ve had a look around my local bike stores and have come up with two £500 contenders:

GT Avalanche 1.0 from Cycleworld
Carrera Fury from Halfrauds

What say you? Could I do any better?
I can pick up but it must be within 50 miles of Portsmouth.

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Plenty of comments on these bikes if you do a search, plus others in the What Bike thread. Sounds liek the dics on the Kraken where contaminated or not set up correctly, they are good brakes. You need to shortlist suitable models and go and test, or at least sit on them. (including a range of sizes, these vary)