Bike racks?

dcfcfan
dcfcfan Posts: 33
edited August 2007 in Road beginners
OK - I've got my Trek 7.3fx, my fiancee has her Ridgeback velocity

Now we need a bike rack for a ford fiesta

Some people are saying we need an elevated one with the bikes resting on the window. Others say that's too much pressure on the window and tell me I should get one that just protudes off the back and get a new number plate made up

Thoughts?

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    In my opinion which doesn't count for much ! go for either a tow bar mounted or roof mounted. But don't drive into a car park with a hight barrier with the bikes on the roof :lol:
    Once the bikes are on these they are very secure. I have seen these strap on racks fall off and have seen them rub the paint work when not fitted properly, so for my money as I have a tow bar the tow bar mount wins, but a friend who drives VERY quickley has roof bars and even with 5 bikes on and a cross country dash non of the bikes moved at all.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • smokey74
    smokey74 Posts: 20
    I have one of those ones that go on the back of the car, and it fits pretty much any type of car. Its been fine the couple of times I have used it, and seems secure enough. If you arent careful, the rubber feet can leave marks/scratches on the cars paint tho.

I'm not sure about the roof mounted ones - I saw the bikes come off one of those on a European motorway once & it wasnt pretty :shock:
  • dcfcfan
    dcfcfan Posts: 33
    Hi, not sure sure if you have a hatchback but, if so, does it lean on the window?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'm sure you can get them that don't put all of the weight on the glass.

You eed to have a proper look at some
    Richard

Giving it Large