Stolen! my commute bike stolen on CCTV, Prescot St E1 (Lon)

gralegav
gralegav Posts: 94
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
So I've been happilly locking up my bike for the last week outside some temporary offices I'm working in, right next to a Ped Xing and overlooked by cctv and a busy office on a very busy road.

Two hoodies come along at 11.20am and within 30 seconds the bike is gone, despite two cable locks and my patented 'plastic bag over the saddle' deterrent!

so if you see or hear of a bike like this going cheap, please post or email. The bike is pretty distinctive:
Bianchi Via Nirone in Silver and dark blue, with cut down FLAT bars, curved bar ends and grey bar tape on both. Nitto shiny silver stem, blue Hope top cap and bar end caps. USE TI seatpost with leather XO saddle. FULL Campy Veloce groupset including skeleton brakes. blue Crank bros Candy pedals. Mavic open pro wheels with black rims and silver spokes, 'built by Jules' stickers on wheels. Reflecty ghost on the front! Lots of other distinguishing quirks, most obviously the broken front shifter on the combined bake/gear thingy.

will try posting a pic, happy to give a £100 reward if it comes back intact, though it is probably in bits by now anyhow. Any sightings welcomed, thanks one and all.

Gav

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'll keep an eye out Gav, I work literally round the corner from you and there's a halfway house on Leman st which has a massive percentage of scum there, which I suspect the 'hoodies' came from.

Luckily we've got underground secure parking here
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • WyS
    WyS Posts: 254
    go down brick lane on sunday mate.. more than likely will end up there, but you'll probably have to buy it back.

Post a pic of it and ill have a ganders as well, im moving there tonight ;]
  • gralegav
    Thanks Guys
  • Eek! Sorry to hear about that mate.

Did you have insurance?
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • gralegav
    yeah, it is insured, but I was attached to its quirky ways!
  • Of course! Having insurance is very little compensation for the loss, but at least it is some.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    Sorry to hear you got your bike stolen.

Just do not secure your next one with cable locks - they are not very good. Your bike was worth locking up properly.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 180
    Sorry about your bike.

As you have demonstrated though, using cable locks on a nice bike like yours is a bit foolhardy! They're not worth the money in my opinion.

As the tv program about bike thefts in London demonstrated the other day, parking on a busy road (or near cctv) is no disincentive to thieves if they can just cut through your lock in a couple of seconds with wire cutters, then ride off fast on it!

Personally I use a big D lock (v.heavy so I leave it on the railings at work and don't actually ride with it) for the frame and back wheel, and a cable lock for my saddle. Then I take my front wheel in to the office with me so that if they do manage to get the locks off, they can't ride it away fast!

On my commute, I take only the light (useless) cable lock with me in case I need to stop at a shop for a minute or so on my way.

Good luck trying to track it!
  • Ale wrote:
    Sorry about your bike.

As you have demonstrated though, using cable locks on a nice bike like yours is a bit foolhardy! They're not worth the money in my opinion.

If it was two of these I wouldn't call it foolhardy:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ble%20Lock
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">The biggest dumb ass on this forum</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 180
    Ale wrote:
    Sorry about your bike.

Whatever Gav used, two of them were cut through in 30s!
  • ouch sorry to hear about that, all i can say is, fcuk your insurance company and get as much for it as you can
    Please e-mail me if you know any good trails and jumps around the,
    middlesbrough,
    yarm,
    stockton,
    ingleby barwick
    great ayton,
    or the redcar area.
  • mailmannz
    mailmannz Posts: 173
    Ale wrote:
    Sorry about your bike.

Or one of these :D

u143671.jpg

The ultimate bike chain :)

Regards

Mailman
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • Ale wrote:
    Sorry about your bike.

15 seconds a chop, I've done it in less with £30 of tools from Machine Mart.

Bit late now but I would urge people to NEVER EVER use cable locks unless they don't particularly want to keep their bike. It's a con, a scam, a ripoff.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    The Steel-o-flexes have a known weakpoint. I'm not sure I want to be posting it all over a forum, but they're really not that difficult to get into. AFAIK, it's similar for all similarly-constructed locks. They've just released a new version which strengthens the locking mechanism, but that's not the weakpoint.

Chains and/or D-locks. Always.
  • Big Red S wrote:
    The Steel-o-flexes have a known weakpoint. I'm not sure I want to be posting it all over a forum, but they're really not that difficult to get into. AFAIK, it's similar for all similarly-constructed locks. They've just released a new version which strengthens the locking mechanism, but that's not the weakpoint.

Chains and/or D-locks. Always.

Having seen the guts of one, I think I know what you mean. I take it you mean the new style Steel O Flex? Someone gave me an old one and the quality was far superior, it could still be chopped but given the choice between chopping and a clever exploitation of a lock fault, I know which one I'd go for.

I noticed Kryptonite have changed the design of their D locks, the bodies are now oval shaped.