Eyes and ears

misterben
misterben Posts: 193
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Anybody here wear glasses? What do you do for cycling? Wear them, go without (if possible) or wear contacts? Or do you get prescription cycling glasses ;) ?

I'm slightly short sighted - enough to need them to drive, but not enough to need to wear them permanently (although I tend to wear them most of the time anyway) and I play football without them on. I don't wear contacts.

While we're on senses - what's the "perceived wisdom" with regards to listening to music/podcasts while cycling? Is it frowned upon (it would certainly reduce awareness) or do most people do it? What about on cycletracks rather than roads?
mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
JediMoose.org

Comments

• I don't need glasses, and don't actually know any cyclists short sighted enough that they need to think about contacts etc, so can't help you there I'm afraid.

On the issue of headphones, I think its safe to say that it is generally frowned upon, especially in high traffic situations. It's a personal choice, but I am of the feeling that listening to music one cannot be as aware of what is going on as without.

I guess cyclepaths would be a lot less of an issue than roads.

I have tried wearing headphones on a long ride to meet someone before we went to germany together (I was in the saddle for 6hrs, only stopping to pee and take on water at the odd pub), but I rapidly gave up because I had to have it so loud to cancel out the wind noise it hurt my ears.

Though maybe higher quality headphones would sort that issue.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I wear glasses, I definately couldn't cycle without them. I like to be able to hear things, early warning so I don't have earphones. Some people do though and perhaps its more peaceful to shut out the noise and not realise/ hear how close a car actually is.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I prefer contacts simply bcasue you can wear sunnies over the top or take glasses off and wipe them etc etc

certainly off road i prefer them but my eyes are nt really bad enough to need them for a general commute
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I wear specs and certainly could not commute without them, very poor eyesight. Contacts are better for peripheral vision but I don't like wearing them for work because I do lots of editing/proofing and my eyes get dry, and I couldn't be bothered to put them in and out just for the commute because it is too much faff. Rain is the worst thing vision-wise, otherwise I'm fine.

Personally I use my ears a fair bit (as well as my eyes of course) and wouldn't want to sacrifice any hearing, but that's just me. I am getting to know engine notes quite well.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I don't need to wear glasses but I wear Rudi project shades in the summer and swap the lenses for clear in the dark as I don't like stuff hitting me in the eyes

I listen to music as it helps keep me going when I start to flag...BUT I have them at a low enough volume so I can still hear engines nearing me and the like... but I've got to say as you get used to wearing ear plugs/phones your visual awareness goes up to compensate... that and going fast enough not to have to bother doing a lifesaver every couple of minutes.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I really need my glasses, wouldn't last 5 minutes on my commute without them!! If you want sunglasses, buy some prescription ones.

I've tried wearing headphones while cycling, but I found that the wind noise drowned the music out so I don't bother.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    I wear glasses. I used to have a pair of Bolles with a prescription insert that slotted behind the lens. They were okay but did steam up alot in humid/wet conditions. I then went for contact lenses which were fantastic, but some emergency eye surgery a few years back means they're now out of the question. Luckily my finances now mean I can afford prescription Oakley M Frames which are absolutely superb. You just need to have at least two sets of lenses for bright & dark conditions.
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I got my prescription glasses from Optilabs. One of the best bits of kit I have (and much cheaper from them than from the High Street). At this time of year, with the harvest flies, they would be essential even if I had perfect eyesight (was picking one of the aforementioned little b*ggers out of my wife's contact lensed eye just the other night on our regular run).

As for headphones, not a good idea from a safety point of view, but I can sympathise with those who wear them on long journeys to pass the time. A mate of mine used to listen to world service when we were on a three-week tour. Two things happened:

1. He never heard the suggestion that we should stop for a coffee/croissant.
    2. He kept starting conversations about things that had no relevance at all to anyone except him and whatever programme was being broadcast.

Me, I prefer to let the mind wander to the rhythm of the pedals and the rush of air across the ears.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I have short site and need glasses to cycle - got an old pair of prescription Bolle's and also a new pair of sports glasses from tesco - £40 for glasses and prescription insert (and free test - I'd just had my eyes tested so didn't need it).
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I need glasses for reading, working, driving etc but hadn't even thought about wearing them for any sport. Would probably regret trying if I got used to it, don't fancy having to start wearing them for playing footie or taking the mtb off road, think it would be time for me to go for laser eye surgery if I needed to wear them full time.

Tend to have an earphone in one ear for commuting/road riding of trying to drag the mtb uphill and keep the volme at a level where I can hear what's going on around me.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I wear glasses. I could go without them if it was chucking it down. But I have a very good cap now which helps in stopping the glare at night.
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    i have to wear glasses or i miss things,

dont bother with biking glasses but occasionally think about it.
    thought abotu contact lenses a few times.

i have often biked with earphones in but am still able to hear traffic over it
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I have an iPod, but I only use it on the wind/turbo trainer.

I have (what I call) a PhonePod - a SonyEricsson with a 2GB card in it. On long rides, if I'm going to be by myself, I will sometimes have that playing music really softly - stuff with a strong beat (The Prodigy, for example) so I can just make it out. Often, I can't even tell what the song is. I wouldn't feel safe with it loud.

However, the main reason I have that on long rides is so I can take a call from my partner (generally about my 18 month old daughter). I do the same thing up the snow (but there... the music's pumping).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I have prescription glasses that I got through Optilabs. The lenses are reactolite so I can wear them in any conditions. Excellent bit of kit
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    I tend to wear contact lenses at weekends and for commuting I wear Rudy Project Ekynox with the prescription inserts that clip in behind the lense. The inserts are a bit close to the eye but I'm used to them now and on the whole they work fairly well.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    I wear glasses when I ride, but not too happy with them. I think I must have quite sunken eyes as in the worning they seem to channel the wind in to my eyeballs, so that I'm crying like a baby for the first half mile - must get this resolved before the weather gets proper cold!

As for music, I listen to the radio / music on longer rides, but only put in my nearside headphone so I can hear traffic lurking near my rear wheel. Also use an in-canal type headphone so that I don't have to crank up the volume due to wind etc.

Rufus.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I wear glasses, so got myself a pair of the photochromic ones from Optilabs so I can wear them in all conditions. I also sent them a pair of Oakley straight jackets that I had and they retrofitted some photochromic prescription lenses to these too and they are excellent.

As for headphones I do ride with them on and use a pair of Sony in ear 'bud' type which keep out most of the wind noise.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Just picked up some prescription inserts for cycling glasses at the opticians- haven't even tried them yet. Up to now just wore my regular glasses, only in the cold weather they weren't protective enough against the wind.

I've found out that if I listen to jazz on the iPod while cycling, particularly horn-driven stuff like Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane etc. then I can hear the horns and the snare and hi-hat well. The traffic frequency is pretty separate so I can hear that too. Can't hear the bass solos. So what.

Also the horns compete well with wind noise, whereas vocals and guitars just disappear.

It beats the Ramones anyway- with them I can't hear the traffic and I'm knackered after 30 minutes beating the rhythm out on the pedals. Not a problem with free jazz.
  • mazcp
    mazcp Posts: 953
    I normally wear specs BUT
    if it's chukin it down when i leave home i will pop in my contacts & keep them in all day.
    if it only chuks it down for the return leg i keep a pair of disposable contacts in my desk at work and i'll wear them.
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    My eyesight is -7 in each eye (I can not even see the big A on the eyetest wallchart) so I could not ride without them. I do not like using contacts when riding because I find the wind dries them out a lot.

Never tried riding with music - I can barely walk around town with earphones in - for some reason I start tripping up (think its cos I can not hear my feet hit the floor??).
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • I don't need glasses yet

But I wear some protective glasses to stop stuff getting into my eyes.
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • :shock: I have to wear some form of correction. When riding fastish I wear contacts and biking sunglasses. However as I am getting on a bit I couldn’t read or fix the bike without reading glasses with the lenses. Latest solution is one contact for reading and the other for distance. Problem is that I had retinal detachment nine years ago and the distance vision is distorted, It’s not great but it’s OK. :?

I wear my glass glasses for straight commute. I’d like to get plastic cycling glasses optilabs or similar but can’t afford this right at the moment. I may try wearing the contacts at work or changing but I do find them irritating unless actually exercising.

Probably should save up for cycling glasses and get detailed quote for optilabs varifocal reactolite (sharp intake of breath). :cry: