Which Commuter Bike?

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 582
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
A slightly different question.. details as following

me. Height 5' 8" inside leg approx 29" weight 110kg

bike needed for 3 mile commute to work
undulating roads, mostly downhill on the way in and obviously uphill on the way back. Need to carry clothes, food and laptop, so need rack and panniers.
Currently bike - Scott rigid MTB, with slicks (26x1.5) and a rack & panniers on the back. Currently spin out in top (42x11) down the hill at approx 35mph.

Need recommendations of suitable bikes that will replace the above. At £300, £500 and below £1000 marks. Mudguards will also be needed.
Cheers
Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Why replace the Scott? 3 miles ain't far?

(Sorry - just getting all carbon-neutral and looking at reusing stuff you already have).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Rykard
    The Scott is getting old 10years I think. I am looking for a replacement before it needs replacing so I don't have to run round like a headless chicken to get a replacement and it also means I can look for the better deals too.

I could do with a little more top end as well so rather than spend money on an old bike it might make more sense to get a new one that does everything i need. I also have an old reynolds 500 racer in the garage that I am looking to recycle into a commuter possible....
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    spent last winter commuting on a specialized tricross.£699 from edinburgh bike coop.got around 8000miles done in all weathers.Theres ample room for full length guards,rear rack can also be fitted.Came with chunky all terrain tyres but i swapped these for schwalbe mararthonplus tyres.they seem pretty puncture proof and roll ok for commuting purposes.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Rykard wrote:
    The Scott is getting old 10years I think...

'Nuff said.

I suppose one of the first decisions is what wheel size - that will determine a lot of the choices you have in front of you. If you are going to use it for commuting, and commuting-only, it's probably personal preference.

However, if you're going to do some longer rides, go 700mm. If yr going to do some rail trails etc, perhaps a 26"? If you go 26", for commuting make sure you get solid forks. Makes ALL the difference (and it's why I persist with my old heap).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Rykard
    it wil only be commuting.. I am concerned that my weight + around 10kg of luggage would be too much for 700s

agree about solid forks. it's just that the frame dimensions seems to have changed over the years, my Scott has quite long chain stays, goo dheel clearance and a 'lazy' ride, but everything seems to have short chainstays these days for 'quick' handling...
    Cheers
    Rich

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    it ll be fine - especially if you go for "commuting" 700c rather than race - i'm a rugby player carrying all that gear and 700c on a low quality "race" bike have been fine
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • misterben
    misterben Posts: 193
    I'm also looking at bikes for commuting, but I'm leaning towards one of the Dawes touring bikes (if I can afford it). The cheapest one (the Horizon) comes in at around £450 new.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • Rykard
    I am not sure about drops in traffic. It is a 3 miles run 2 downhills and the rest relatively flat. I am not sure the drops would give me much benefit over flats+bars ends like I have now..
    Cheers
    Rich

• Rykard
    edited August 2007
    Been looking around this morning. What can you guys tell me about the giant FCRs? The 2 esp. Are they worth a look?
    Cheers
    Rich

• mattsv
    mattsv Posts: 24
    I too have been looking at the FCR - the FCR Alliance looks good for £1k, however I think the Kona PHD is better specced for the same money - I e-mailed the Kona importer a couple of weeks ago to ask about 2008 spec - looks as though spec is the same, however price is going to be less at £900. The 2008 FCR range is already out and there is no change over the 2007 models so far as I can see.

If you can get a 2007 model at a discount, then I don't think either the FCR or the Kona PHD will be a bad bike.

I have also looked at Planet X - it looks as though I can get a full carbon frame/forks with 105 for £9k - with either drops or flatbar.

At the moment, Planet X is going to be my choice when I get my cycle to work voucher in mid october.
  • RossC
    RossC Posts: 38
    Rykard wrote:
    I am not sure about drops in traffic. It is a 3 miles run 2 downhills and the rest relatively flat. I am not sure the drops would give me much benefit over flats+bars ends like I have now..

if you dont like dropped bars, try "butterfly" bars (as I call them) like on this:
    http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/kara-kum.htm
    I have been riding the predecessor of this for 9.5 years (the "World Tour" cost £500 then)
    the only original parts left are the gear twist-shifters, brake levers, frame and racks (& some cable sheaths) and the front wheel rim has only just gone - never even lost a spoke on it. I'm going recumbent now, but my 11.5 year old Peugot MTB (cost £170) is still going strong. I buy new components at bike shops and bodge second-hand parts when I must

personally, I'd get some new equipment on the Scott, try some "butterfly" bars (probably £30 bought separately? see http://www.wallbike.com/oddsnends/kalloybars.html), try changing the chain rings & cassette sizes to give you better ratios, if that's what you want (do you want to go faster downhill or get a better climb back up?). compare the cost of public transport and work out what it's worth over x many years (10 years?). if you know of a way to include a health benefit in your calculation, you can, but you can also buy a rucksack and walk it :wink:
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    Hi,

I use a quick rack and expanding bag that slides on/off the rack and not panniers, works well for me.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ear%20Rack

and

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 20Bag%20DX

Holds the "normal" days run of lunch, wallet, skirt, trollies ans socks with ease as well as spare tube, tools, pump, lock extender, overshoes etc....

With the top section expanded it'll take trousers and towel as well for the Monday change over.

Plus it has the bungies on top for the extras.

Mine weighs quite a lot fully loaded and not had any issues on 700c x 28 tyres/wheels. Just make sure the clamp is very tight around the seat post.

Made a braket on the back to take two LED lights.

Phil
  • I went through this dilemma a while ago. I too had an ageing MTB with road tyres, and panniers. Part of my route(s) are off road, so an all out road/tourer wasn't an option.

I now have a Cyclocross bike, which frankly I pretty much use for everything.
    Here's a little something I knocked together a while ago:

http://www.derekhaden.com/~route-30/com ... uting1.htm
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Rykard wrote:
    Methinks you need to visit a shop and look around, try to narrow it down a bit. Do you want drops, flats, Mary bars or butterfly? Often it's the design and styling (horizontal or compact racer / MTB / hybrid) that will help you decide rather than what other people like. If you prefer straights over drops then there is no point people trying to advise you otherwise. If you come back and ask "Is an ABC good value at £xyz? How does it compare to a PQR?" then we have a good basis for discussion.

Spinning out in top is a function the gradient as much as anything, I wouldn't consider that an important part of the equation. Why not just freewheel?

If you don't see something you like at a price that suits I'd suggest in the local rag and ebay (use the distance parameter on searches) and find a secondhand bike near to you. It shouldn't cost much.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • arranandy
    arranandy Posts: 688
    I have a Trek FX 7.3 hybrid that I use for commuting. Had it a couple of months now and so far I'm really pleased with it
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!