Autumn ahead! Need trousers ! :-)

cntl
cntl Posts: 290
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
I am really into cycling now, I have been leaving the car on the driveway pretty much every day for the last month and I am now a daily commuter! Also, regading work, we have another branch in Shepperton and now I will have to do 13 miles each ways every second day or so (the other days 8 miles each way).

I am definitly going to cycle daily (or almost daily :D ) during winter, but I have no clue what trousers I could buy that could keep me warm and dry. I went to a couple of LBSs and what they had was pretty expensive. Come on, a water proof jacket for £125??? - the cheapest, btw., and I got one from halfords for £29 that kept me dry during the latest deluge. Of course I am willing to spend more than £29 for decent trousers, but can not affor to spend £140 or whatever they had in Evans. Does anybody have any suggestions? :? Cheers and see you on the road, haha :lol:

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    water proof or warm?!

water proof have a look on CRC who are doing some stunning deals at the moment and are a superb mail order website (my favourite)

warm...get some 3/4 length ones from somewhere and wear some decent thermals underneath - helly hanson or similar...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I just use 3/4 length shorts so that my knees are covered - nothing else needed until the depths of winter demand knee warmers.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Ive found that a pair of Overtrowsers keep me warm and dry during the winter months (I wear Altura nightvision ones) but I only cycle 4.5 miles one way, you might find them a bit clammy on longer commutes
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Wear knee warmers or tights (lycra not pretty polly) under your shorts.
    I think waterproof trousers are a waste of time mostly. I've got a pair of OMM Kamleika trousers (http://theomm.com/garments_k_pants.html) but only wear them if it's really, really tipping it down. They're not overtrousers so they're not big and bulky (or noisy). £65. Very light too.
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    In winter I use an old pair of Ron Hill Bikesters over my lycra cycle shorts. They have a special water repellent coating, which if you follow the washing instructions carefully, works really well. You don't need a gortex jacket, Altura do very good jackets at a much more reasonable price, I have had my Altura Nevis for 4 years with no leaks.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    I was looking to get some 3/4 bib shorts

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... b%20Tights

Till I read the sizing.

Unfortunately medium fits as to height and chest, waist wise I reckon its large.... :(

Damn that middle age spread!
  • Flycatcher
    Flycatcher Posts: 185
    Very nice road bike aidocp.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    may be worth investing in a good set of mudguards, if not already fitted. They keep me pretty dry through some pretty appauling weather most winters. try keeping a spare set of cycling kit at work for really wet days when nothing short of a wet suit will do.nothing worse than pulling cold wet kit on for the journey home.
  • cntl
    cntl Posts: 290
    Thank you for your replies. I am going to look at the links you provided :D