Edge Hill, Nr. Banbury

ldessain
ldessain Posts: 15
edited August 2007 in MTB rides
Does anyone know what the edge hill bike track is like, i tried finding it once and failed, i discovered it off bikemagic but wasnt very clear. I ride downhill/freeride and looking somewhere nearby to ride. Anyone?

Comments

• baccaman21
    baccaman21 Posts: 523
    I used to live in Leamington but never quite made it to Edge hill - I've been in the car and stuff and I've ridden around it on horseback (oo la dee dah!) but not on bikes, to be honest I can't see it being that sustainable in terms of downhill/freeriding as having just scoured my OS maps (Explorer 206 "Edge hill & Fenny Compton") and it has a long distance FOOTPATH (the Macmillan way) that skirts the top of the hill from southwest to northeast, and a couple of short bridleways that descend from top to bottom, (about 1500meters each) - if that tickles your fancy then by all means go for it, but I'm sure you'll get bored quite quickly. The whole of this area is crisscrossed in Footpaths, nowt for bikes, it's a bit light on decent terrain for wheels... unless you like road riding or mild XC.

I'd suggest looking further afield if you can. If you're south of edge hill then I'm not sure locally what there is around Banbury way - but if you go further south towards Aylesbury there's Aston hill and of course the Chilterns for more sustained options.

If you're north of edge hill then you can try in Kenilworth there's an area where the 'kids' go jumping off Common Lane (but wouldn't recommend it for sustainability)- alterrnatively head on north to Cannock - there's a terrific downhill course there as well as some decent XC/Singletrack country around the Chase.

For proper DH/FR stuff then it's Snowdonia, Lakes, Peaks, or Scotland... Thems the breaks buddy, the downside of living in the middle of england - one of the reasons why I moved.
    get on your bikes and ride!
  • ldessain
    ldessain Posts: 15
    Cheers for that, i might check out the bridleways anyway and if they are ok, just build a few features off the edge to keep me entertained.

Cheers

Luke