V-brake recommendation

ejls2
ejls2 Posts: 322
edited August 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I'm just about to buy a new bike (assuming our planned cycle to work scheme goes ahead!) for commuting/trainng purposes and I'm looking at speccing some upgraded brakes. It only has mounts for V-brakes and so I was wondering which ones people would recommend.

All condition braking performance is my main criteria but I would also like something that doesn't need masses of maintenance if that's possible. I have used XTR brakes before (a long time ago) and remember them being very good but I have also heard that the top end avids are very good.

Has anyone got any experience of how these two compare in terms of day-in, day-out reliability and ease of maintenance maintenance?

FInally, any advice on pads? I'm not going to be using the bike off road but it will be used in the wet a lot! Are Swissstop greens still considered the best?

Many thanks in advance,

Ed

Comments

• Chris Bcp
    Chris Bcp Posts: 139
    I've got Avid Single Digit 5s on my bikes and they're brilliant and cheap, really easy to set up and adjust. Had LX parallelograms before and they're good. Don't need pad adjustment but the link goes sloppy over time. Think you need to go for XTs to get the parallel action nowadays.
  • XTR's are brilliant, though I like the soft Shimano pads actually. they do wear out fast though.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    edited August 2007
    Chris Bcp wrote:
    Think you need to go for XTs to get the parallel action nowadays.

You'll need to be quick. Shimano have discontinued parallel action brakes, as Avid did last year (Arch Rivals).
    Having tried a few, I'm convinced that good quality cables and pads make more difference than the levers and brakes themselves. Koolstop Salmon are often quoted as the best, I've not used anything better.
    The exception are Magura hydraulic rim brakes, HS33 or HS11. These always hit the rims square, have enough force to clear water, or put you over the bars if not careful. These can be a real pain to set up, but it’s a one off and they’re easy maintenance after. You can also get the Salmon pads for them. Opinion does tend to be a bit polarised, people love or hate them, try and get a test ride on a bike fitted with them
  • ejls2
    Many thanks both!

I quite like pads that wear out quickly. I know they're doing something!

Jacomus, 2 quick qusetions if I may?

The XTR pads are cartridge pads aren't they? I don't mind changing pads but I suppose that must save having to alter the toeing in angle each time :)

Have you had any experience cleaning them/using them lots over a long period of time? If so how were they?
  • collie27
    collie27 Posts: 25
    I've been using paralell XTs and some Koolstop salmon pads for last few months and in the dry they are unbelievable. However i just came back through the deluge in London between 4 and 5 pm and frankly I'm now not sure why they are rated so well for the wet. On a brand new front Mavic rim I was stretching the cable to get them to grab. Scary.
    woot
  • ejls2
    Ah, sorry PHcp, I just missed your post!

Is the parrallel action definietly worth having or would it be better for me to get "this year's" brakes instead?

I think I'll try some koolstops, swissstops and XTR pads and see which ones suit me best. I've always previously used Jagwire cables though I've seen a lot of good mentions on here for flying snakes and their ilk.

Which cables would you recommend?

I'll see if I can get a test ride with the Maguras, I think one of my friends has a set,

Many thanks for all your help.

Ed
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    when set up properly v brakes require very little maintinance, the set that came on my specialized hardrock lasted me for 3 years with a single adjustment of the cable and one replacement set of pads and were used for a lot of offroad and muddy use

as you have v brake mounts it is possible to fit hayes HS33 hydrolic rim brakes
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    ejls2 wrote:
    Ah, sorry PHcp, I just missed your post!
    Is the parrallel action definietly worth having or would it be better for me to get "this year's" brakes instead?
    Ed
    The only parallel action brakes I've had were the Avid Arch Rival, they were better than similar quality standard brakes, but not by a lot. It wouldn't be the determining factor for me.
    Which cables would you recommend?
    I have no favourites, just avoid the cheap ones, Jagwire are fine. CRC have XT sets at £5.99, I've just bought a couple.
  • ejls2 wrote:
    Many thanks both!

I quite like pads that wear out quickly. I know they're doing something!

Jacomus, 2 quick qusetions if I may?

The XTR pads are cartridge pads aren't they? I don't mind changing pads but I suppose that must save having to alter the toeing in angle each time :)

Have you had any experience cleaning them/using them lots over a long period of time? If so how were they?

Oops :oops: sorry about the delay!

I actually don't toe-in any of my brake pads (I've got V's, sidepull and dual pivots too look after!) I set them up so that the whole pad hits the rim at the same time. By having the cartirige loose in the caliper I squeeze on the brake, and get the pad height correct, then simply tighten the bolt.

The only time I suffer from squealing or juddery brakes is if I spill a drip of GT-85 or chain lube on a rim.
    Sweat saves blood.
    Erwin Rommel