Focus Cayo forks

mag1
mag1 Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi just wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have just purchased a Focus Cayo and find the forks weigh in at 600+ grams, i want to uprade these to a lighter pair but i'm not sure if getting a fork with a different rake will cause a problem. I think the rake is 39mm if my understanding of the specs are correct http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ike%202007 Thanking you all in advance

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    May change the handling a bit, but within reasonable limits I'd say. I wouldn't worry but I'd get some expert opinion first before splashing out.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Grifcp
    Grifcp Posts: 283
    I must say I'm quite surprised they are that heavy! Was that the fork on its own, or with crown race, spacers, bung etc?

As to the rake, 39 is the spec and it will make a difference if you stray too far from that. I have a 73 degree head tube and have tried 39, 41, 44 rake forks (44 being about the equivalent to 39 on your 73.5 degree head tube) and I can definitely tell the difference.

I've found the 44's to be the most twitchy particularly at lower speeds, the 39's that I'm currently running are more stable but don't turn as well and I get a smidge of toe overlap so I'll probably be going back to the 44's (its all about compromise I guess).

If I were you I'd try and find some 39's, which may not be that easy as you don't see them too often.
  • mag1
    mag1 Posts: 4
    Hi Grifcp
    The weight of the forks with just the star nut in the steerer column is just over 600 grams.
  • Star nut, Christ, are we talking carbon or aluminium steerer.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    600 gr. is a normal weight for an average carbon fork with alu steerer.
    Mine weigh a little bit less but not much and I don't give a damn about that.
    <500 gr> you need full carbon.